cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Extending Cable on BT Fibre

Logistics mean that I need to extend my ethernet cable of the mains power adapter for my BT Hub (purchased Jun 2023)

Can someone tell my what type of ethernet cable (spec & type) I need to get and whether I can get a mains power cable of 5 metres and what the plug into Hub is.  (ONT I know is 2.1 x 5.5)

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Extending Cable on BT Fibre

Ethernet Cat5e or above.

No one has yet found a UK supplier for the obscure DC jack socket BT chose for the SH2. Would a simple ethernet witch achieve what you need?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Your question is a little confusing as the mains power adapter does not use an ethernet cable.

As @rbz5416 says a longer Cat5e or higher ethernet cable can be used to replace the supplied one.

You could use a 13A extension lead to plug the SH2 power adapter in a distance from the mains socket.

Extension leads for the DC side of the SH2 power supply don't appear to exist, but you can buy  parts. There are leads available on Ebay that appear to have the correct plug (search for "5.5x3.0mm for Power Charger Cable Plug Connector Adapter For Laptop"), but they are just that, leads no actual PSU.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Yes it would,  I'm presuming it's just a cat 5 ethernet cable I need

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Cat 5e, or above, not Cat5

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Many thanks,  the ethernet cable extension is one choice, the mains plug to the hub is the alternative 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

you need cat5E or higher

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 9

So any cat6 cable is fast enough then

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

yes  as I posted 5E or higher

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings