Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeyfafa
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Extending Range Problem

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help with my problem.

I have HH3 and BT Infinity. My problem is that I've got a bit of a dead spot in my lounge. Now I have some existing kit, a couple of powerline ethernet plugs and a cisco adsl2+ router, which I want to use as a wifi extender.

I've set it up so that the IP addresses for the wireless devices are assigned by the HH3.

It seems to work ok except that once a wireless device has connected to the cisco if I move in range of the HH3 it will no longer connect to the HH3 without a restart of the HH3. Not an ideal solution.

Any ideas how I can resolve this?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Extending Range Problem

You cannot fix it, its a firmware issue which is due to be fixed, its a MAC address cacheing issue.

If you wait about five minutes, it usually will allow a connection, according to other people posting on this forum.

0 Ratings
mikeyfafa
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply. 

Is there an ETA on the firmware update?

In the meantime is it possible to switch off  the DHCP server on HH3 and tell it to use the DHCP  on my NAS drive, if this would even solve the problem. I could do this on my old router but can't see any obvious settings on hh3.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Its not a DHCP issue, it an internal Ethernet routing issue relating the the physical hardware MAC addresses of any device connected to either the Ehernet port, or wireless interfaces.

These MAC addresses are stored within the home hub so that Ethernet frames are delivered to the correct interface, depending on where the MAC address of the connecting device is connected.

If a device is connected to an additional access point connected to the Ethernet port, then the home hub will route data to that port.

If the device then connects to the wireless interface, then a connection would not be made, as the home hub thinks its still connected to the Ethernet port.

Eventually any cached MAC addresses are refreshed, and the home hub will then see the device on the wireless interface.

This "cached"routing can take some time to be refreshed, which is why its not possible to roam seamlessly between the two access points.

From what I understand, this "refresh" time is to be reduced to a much smaller value, so that this will be less of a problem.

If you unplug the Ethernet connection to the access point, then the MAC addresses should be released right away.

This is the case with normal Ethernet switches, but may not be the case with the home hub.

The home hubs 1 and 2 do not suffer from this problem.

If you use a universal wireless repeater, the problem does not arise, as devices are always connected to the wireless interface.

0 Ratings
mikeyfafa
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I've just noticed that the home hub had a firmware update V100R001C01B036SP03_L_B on the 20th May. I've fired up the linksys and connected my phone to it then disconnected and connected the home hub and it worked ok. I guess this firmware release fixes the issue.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

That does sound hopeful Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
mikeyfafa
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

I thought I'd update this post as I've been using this set up now for a while since the firmware upgrade and have noticed a slightly different problem.

I can switch devices between the two wifi access points no problem now, but every couple of days I find that devices connecting to the Linksys router are failing to get an IP address. I found that a quick solution is to reset the ethernet powerline adapter to which the linksys device is connected. Any ideas what is going on and why reseting the powerline adapter fixes it?

0 Ratings