cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Extending SH2 WiFi range?

I currently have a Smart Hub 2 but sadly the WiFi signal is quite poor and doesn't reach all areas of the house so I'm looking to extend the range of the WiFi.

Does anyone know if the Smart Hub 2 supports third party mesh networks / extenders? I know BT do their own BT discs but at £100 a pop (or £12 a month) it's not really ideal! I notice I can get something like a TP-Link Deco system which comes with three devices for less than £90 which is cheaper than one BT disc.

Can anyone that isn't using the BT discs recommend any sort of system at all? 

Thanks ^_^

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Extending SH2 WiFi range?

@HexRuin 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

The TP Link Deco mesh works very well in access point mode, but you need to turn off the BT Home Hub wireless to prevent interference.

The Deco also has access to all wireless channels, and will  find the least congested one.

I use the Deco with a TP Link ADSL/VDSL modem/router and it works very well.

It also has a separate guest network which can be configured as 2.4 or 5GHz, which can be useful for IOT devices which are 2.4GHz only.

Message 3 of 6

There is no reason that any alternative Mesh system won't work with the BT Smarthub2.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Do not go with the cheapest Deco units out there.  TP-Link are still selling at least one set that is 2.4GHz only (WiFi4/N).  If you do for an add-on Mesh system make sure it's at least as good as you already have.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@HexRuin 

Its the Deco E4 that I use.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I use a repurposed router as a wireless point. Didn’t cost me anything and gives me an extra couple of lan ports too. Very straightforward to setup.

0 Ratings