cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Extending Smart Hub 2 network with single Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi Disc

Hi all,

Essentially my parents have a single dead spot in their house which they get no signal from their main router.  I was looking into options and since they've got 500MBit down it looks like a single premium whole home wi-fi disc would be best.  Unifi is overkill and pricey once you look at 3x3 MIMO and above, and the Smart Hub 2 is a good access point.

Would someone be able to confirm before I buy a single disc from ebay (because you can't buy single packs of the premium access points despite them being advertised: https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-add-on-disc-for-premium-whole-home-wi-fi-093591-F7BY.html), that the network is indeed meshed with that of the Smart Hub 2's? I would just add a new Wi-Fi disc through the Smart Hub 2's web interface.

I assume that's the case, but don't want to assume seeing as I won't be able to return it if it's not!

Cheers,
James

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Extending Smart Hub 2 network with single Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi Disc

A simpler alternative would be a powerline adapter WiFi hotspot. TP Link have a good range of devices to choose from.https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline

The white discs don't form a mesh network with the hub. Unless your parents are continuously moving around whilst streaming, a mesh system isn't necessary in any case.

You would also need to connect the disc to the hub via Ethernet.

Message 3 of 5

Brilliant thanks for clarifying that for me! Saved me £80 odd of hassle easily 🙂

That's basically the current setup which isn't working as well for them as they'd like, I've chucked a spare unifi ac-lite I had sitting around which is connected through in-wall ethernet but multiple SSIDs isn't ideal and they don't get 500Mbps throughput.  The kids also move about a lot and devices really don't switchover as elegantly as I'd have hoped.

I'll have to do a bit more research it seems.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

See if you can find a "Complete" wifi disk, that'll do what you want.
Cheers
Ted
Message 5 of 5

I think I accidentally used the term mesh incorrectly in my original question – woops!
0 Ratings