Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Extending WiFi Advise

Go to solution

Hi All,

I have a HomeHub4 in our hallway and i am looking to extend it to a field next to the house for a wedding. It is not a permanent fixture and will only be for a couple of days, but im looking to find out what i need to get to do this. 

My initial thought is 100m of Cat5 cable and a wireless extender to connect to the end but im not sure if this is the correct way to do it or what type of extender i would need to get.

The field is about 80-90 meters away from the hub and will have a generator providing power

Any advise would be great

Leo

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Extending WiFi Advise

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum. @leo-0122

An Ethernet cable with a wireless access point would be the best solution, and you can re-use the wireless point again if you need it anywere.

For example the TP Link WA801ND wireless access point can easily be configured that way. It also means you have a separate wireless SSID and pasword, so you do not have to provide the home hub one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

great thanks for the reply.

is there any issues on range, ive heard you can only extend so far with an ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@leo-0122 wrote:

great thanks for the reply.

is there any issues on range, ive heard you can only extend so far with an ethernet cable?

100 metres is about the limit if you want the full speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

great should be fine then!

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

The TP Link has a setup wizard which you need to run, to configure it as a wireless access point.

I would recommend that you use these final  suggested settings. That will make the access point IP address, 192.168.1.18 should you wish to alter any of the settings afterwards.

Ignore the MAC address, as that will be different, and cannot be changed anyway.

801nd network.jpg

0 Ratings