cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Extending network to a garden room

Hi all. Currently having a garden room built and will be having an Ethernet cable running from my smart hub 2 out to a data port in the room. What would I need to connect to that data port in order to use the existing BT Wi-fi network (if this is possible!)?  I’ve looked at WAP’s but think this will create a new Wi-fi network and therefore a Sky Q box will not work in the garden room. 
Many thanks and apologies for the long post!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Extending network to a garden room

Just connect a wireless access point (WAP) it will have a different SSID to the hub but will be on the same network. You can change the SSID if you wish to.

Message 3 of 7

are you actually connecting a SKYQ main box or a mini?  if mini remember it has to be able to connect to the main SKYQ box 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the reply.  It will be a mini so think I’ll test it with one of the other boxes out there before ordering one. I thought it had to be in  the same network!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the reply. If I changed it to the same SSID as the BT hub, would that work or cause me issues?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@Cookie3004 

Surely the Sky Q mini can connect over ethernet , my son has them & I'm sure his are ethernet connected.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@TimCurtis 

you can run cables all over to connect the main SKY Q box to the minis but they are now all wifi and the main SKY Q box sets up a mesh system to connect to the minis

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.