cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 4

External WiFi antenna setup with access point.

OK expert's perhaps you can advise.  My current setup is I have a tplink 701 wireless access point with an external antenna with a good amount of gain out in the garden.

This is only rated at 150Mbps. I am looking to upgrade the WAP to something like a 901. Other than the speed the other difference is that the current 701 only has 1 antenna so currently not an issue however the 901 has 3 antennae, but would only be extending one. L

The only issue I can see would be antennae diversity.

Thoughts anyone? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: External WiFi antenna setup with access point.

@Devon_Dave 

You would not be able to use that with an external antenna. I would have thought that 150Mbs was more than adequate for most wifi devices.

I think you will also find that there are no external aerial connections on the 901. The 701 was designed for that.

Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Keith. Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I've just watched a YouTube video of a guy setting up a 901 and it does appear that the 3 antennae plug into the back of the WAP. So there are 3 separate sockets. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@Devon_Dave wrote:

Keith. Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I've just watched a YouTube video of a guy setting up a 901 and it does appear that the 3 antennae plug into the back of the WAP. So there are 3 separate sockets. 

I must admit, I have not looked at the 901, but I have a couple of unused 801s, and the two aerials are fixed, so maybe the 901 is different.

I would try a speed test just to see what speed you are getting, as interference on the wireless channel can have big impact.

I assume there are no other buildings in the garden, with power, which you can use to improve things?

I now use a Tenda Nova MW3  four node wireless mesh to provide coverage inside and out, but have power in the garage for one of the nodes.

0 Ratings