Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Extortionate costs and no service for fixing wiring

Moderators – please help

Apologies for long post but important to give full picture

I have an existing telephone system where the master socket was moved many years ago. It was extended using 2 cores of a Cat5 cable that appears to have original been used for extensions.

The extensions were then apparently connected again by “back wiring” using the other 2 cores of the Cat 5 cable.

I upgraded to Superfast fibre 2½ years ago and everything worked fine until early this year when the broadband started to reset several times a day and the speed dropped from 80Mbps to 18Mbps. Eventually a Openreach technician visited and concluded that whilst the previous wiring was perfectly OK for normal broadband it was not good for Superfast fibre due to interference  between the extension wires and the incoming line wires as they were all within the same Cat 5 cable which has little insulation between the cores.

His solution was to disconnect all the extensions but leaving the master socket connected via the original incoming cable connected to 2 cores of the extended Cat 5 cable. He said that the incoming line should be rewired direct to the master socket location and then the extensions would be OK to be connected again but could not do it then as his time allocation was just to test.

When I got my recent bill I discovered I had been charged £85 for this visit and the disconnection of all my extensions.

Complaining has had no effect as the case handlers don’t understand the issue.

I do mind paying to get the incoming line connected correctly and the extensions reconnected but BT say I must now pay another £130 to get the master socket moved, although it does not need physical moving, just rerouting the original incoming cable where a draw string is already in place. They also say if the extensions are to be reconnected, using the same cables and sockets it will be a further sum per extension.

If I get it all done, assuming BT/Openreach will do it, it will have cost about £500 all because the wiring requirements of Superfast fibre are more exacting than the standard broadband. It is not my fault if requirements change.

I would have accepted the £85 or even £130 to get it sorted but not both charges and more.

Can anyone help break through this lunacy by a BT owned monopoly that is accountable to no one

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Extortionate costs and no service for fixing wiring

just get a local telecom engineer who probably is ex openreach and avoid openreach

from what  you have posted the work certainly sounds chargeable.  any extension wiring is customer's responsibility and if that was the cause of the problem then the visit is also chargeable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Easier said than done. I had one "local" engineer attend a few years ago that caused the problems by the "back wiring" and now refuses to come and rectify even if paid. The only other local person I can find never returns calls and is never available. Quess he does not want the job. Cant find any others within 30 miles of TQ5
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

That's a pity as it looks like your stuck with openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings