Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Extreme ping lag in games.

Go to solution

Hi, for the past year now since my family recontracted(I never had this problem when we had BT before) with BT there have been some seriously disturbing problems when I am trying to play games with my friends. The problem being erratic and unstable ping.

An example of this would be:

Untitled.png

Showing a clear change in ping every second, this feels like a complete disconnect when in games such as counter-strike making them unplayable.

band.pngThis image shows roughly a minutes worth of internet activity in my household(taken straight from my TP-Link TD-W9970), We're using this hub rather than the given BT HomeHub 6 as it offers Bandwidth controls which is what i was recommended by another user the last time i asked on how to fix this issue of mine.

My hub also gives this general information about our internet.

band.pngFrom my experience in the past, this internet speed is more than capable of supporting multiple devices at home without any issues. However unless i am the ONLY user on the internet (wireless or wired) i get erratic ping, this becomes unplayable if the television is being used at the same time. 

My ping when other people are using the internet quickly paces up from 20ms to multiple hundreds over the course of seconds. The reason i am returning to this forum(yes i previously ranted about this issue before) is that despite following all the previous steps (getting a modem that support bandwidth controls) i am still experiencing these issues. 

band.pngDespite setting up a seriously aggressive and unfair bandwidth control, i have acheived no success with improving my ping. And yes, i have forced my computer to  always use the address seen above^

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Extreme ping lag in games.

Go to solution

On the statistics page, you have missed out the IP address of the device which is showing the  10,205.819 bytes, and also the IP addresses of the other entries.

What priority have you given the device with the high usage, as I can only see one entry in the bandwidth control table?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

The address 1.101 is linked to my tv, while 1.111 is the permanent ip for my computer. I have only setup bandwidth controls for my personal computer.

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Would i need to set ALL devices in the bandwidth controls? i assumed it was a global effect, meaning it would force my computer to have the majority of the bandwidth, regardless whether other devices were in the table or not. 

Untitled.png

Would this be more of what i need to do? the latter of the two including ALL devices other than my pc.

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

You have not specified a bandwidth rule for the TV, assuming its reserved in the DHCP reservation table?

For bandwidth control to function properly, every IP address, or IP address range, has to be defined. You have also not configured a value for 192.168.1.105.

You can specify an IP address range for bandwidth control. So you could  specify 192.168.1.104 to 192.168.1.199 to have a default priority of 6 or 7 if you want.

Its the TV one which is the one you need to add, depending on what you expect the download rate to be. You could start with a download  upper limit of 4000 kbs, and an upload limit of 500kbs maximum, as its only used for TCP acks, assuming its just normal unicast streaming, like Netflix.

Set the TV as priority 8 to start with, you can always increase it if you get buffering or poor quality. It depends on whether you are viewing SD of HD.

Multicast content, like BT Sport, and the extra channels, should not affect upload rate, but are given priority over the core BT Wholesale network as they are "tagged" at the network port, so there is not much you can do about that, although I doubt that its causing any issues.

Its the upload rate which is more likely to be affecting the ping delay.

There is no need to set such an aggressive minimum upload and download rate, as it reserves that bandwidth, and makes it unavailable to other devices, which could cause unwanted re-transmissions.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks so much for the help mate. i'll start slowly figuring out the most compatibly settings as time continues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@WhatAmISupposedToDo wrote:

Thanks so much for the help mate. i'll start slowly figuring out the most compatibly settings as time continues.

You do need to spend a bit of time on this, as you would have to do with any complex router.

If you think of it as a queue, where devices are served in turn, depending on their priority. To function properly, all devices need to be in the queue.

Many people think that by getting a faster download connection, their ping will be better that they would get on normal broadband. That is not always the case, because faster broadband simply means that more users can download or stream content, and that often ends up being HD content, which swallows up any speed advantage, and uses more upload speed.

Which is why when they move from normal broadband, with a good ping reply, to a faster connection, things get worse.

In reality, gaming uses very little bandwidth, and the most critical part is the upload path from your computer, to the server. If that is slow, then your actions will be delayed.

Streaming content uses download and upload bandwidth. The amount of upload bandwidth depends on the content provider. For example, the BBC iPlayer constantly sends performance data back to the BBC, to allow them to give you the best quality, without putting too much strain on their servers. This information is not time critical.

Netflix, and Amazon video, use a similar method, which is how all these sevices can deliver reasonable quality, no matter what device or Internet speed you have.

Unicast has no "back" pathway, as its like broadcast TV, where the transmitter cannot tell how well a signal is being received.

To conclude, its the upload path that you need to concentrate on. Unless you have someone uploading lots of videos, then this can be restricted in most cases for other devices.

There is plenty of scope for experiment. You can always check the bandwidth control effects, by using one of the many speed test websites. Initially try this on your own PC as an experiment, by limiting the upload speed to 1000Kbs and the download speed to 8000kbs.

Remember to save the setting after any change.

If you run a speed test, you should see you speed restricted to a figure close to those settings.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

to configure the priority setting do u need a custom router like a TP-link router 

0 Ratings