Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
subair37
Contributor
Message 11 of 38

Re: FTP FAILED TO RETRIEVE DIRECTORY LISTING. PLEASE HELP I AM ON BT INFINITY 2

Hi Friend

thank you very much for your help i have upgraded my BT infinity 2 with another 12 months contract as they going to give me a free home hub 5 , hope this home hub 5 wont be giving me any problems in connecting my filezilla FTP .That is the main thing i need.

Any one using Home hub 5 can they shed some light on these as it will be usefull for many other customers like me here.

Please share your home hub 5 experiences here .................

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 38

No outgoing ports are blocked by any home hub, however the problem with the HH3a seems to be that when an outgoing connection is established, it is timing out after about 20 seconds, and dropping the established link.

This means that contact is lost to the remote host, and may even affect http and https sessions.

All incoming ports are normally blocked by all the home hubs, unless they are opened by the user, or by an existing session.

The HH5 does not appear to be affected by this firmware bug.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 13 of 38

FTP has two modes active and passive. Active mode can often be problematic as you establish the control connection from your PC to the FTP server in question. The FTP server will then initiate a data connection back to your PC. Now most of the time modern equipment understands this and will fix it so it just works. With Passive FTP the client(ie you) establish both connections so there tends to be less problems with firewalls and routers and NAT. I'd suggest changing your FTP client to use passive mode. Additionally have you tried using a different FTP client? Filezilla and winscp both seem to be pretty good.

0 Ratings
kimaldis
Message 14 of 38

FTP. Login ok, timeout on commands

Two days ago I started having problems with FTP. Using any computer in my home I can log in to any FTP server but any subsequent command issued to that server times out - see transcript below. This is true of all FTP clients - command line, Transmit, Filezilla, Cyberduck - but not browsers - firefox, firefox using FTP. The problem is apparent with any FTP server, I've tried about 20.

To my knowledge nothing has changed on my own network although I have noticed an update to the router firmware around the time this started to happen. I've factory reset the router, the fault still persist.

I run the OS X firewall and Little Snitch, a software firewall on OS X, both have been turned off. I've tried Passive Mode both on and off.

A laptop that exhibits this problem here has been taken to a neighbour where its FTP functions correctly. The problem is looking to be either the router or something BT are doing.

The thought of taking this to BT tech support fills me with dread. Any thoughts appreciated.

Transcript, note login and first pwd command are ok, timeout is on the cd command:-

MacbookPro:~ kimaldis$ ftp (redacted)
Connected to ftp.merryfieldpottery.co.uk.
220 FTP server ready
Name (ftp.merryfieldpottery.co.uk:kimaldis): (redacted)
331 Password required for merryfieldpottery.co.uk
Password:
230 Login successful. Username & password correct; FTP unlocked.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> pwd
Remote directory: /
ftp> cd public_html
Abort trap: 6
MacbookPro:~ kimaldis$

0 Ratings
kimaldis
Message 15 of 38

This looks an awful lot like the problem I started having a couple of days back, coincides, more or less, with a firmware update on the router, see this link here: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/FTP-Login-ok-timeout-on-commands/td-p/12068...

Things I have tried or know:

1. I can log in to any FTP server using any client on any of 4 computers on my network, it's issuing a command - other than cwd - that causes the time out. Any client includes FTP command line, Transmit, Filezilla, Cyberduck. In passive mode or active

2. The exception to the above is firefox, this happily gives me file listings and allows me to upload files where no other client will

3. I took a laptop that exhibited this problem to a neighbour's house, it works just fine there.

4. all firewalls are turned off.

5. I've tried around 20 FTP servers, all fail as above.

It's looking like either a router problem or a BT problem. I'll pick up a new router today and try that. I'm not even going near BT tech support with this one, the best they'll do is offer to test the line and I'll have to go and kill someone.

KYP.

kimaldis
Message 16 of 38

Fixed. replaced router and all worked fine. The firmware update was too close to the point where problems started for it to have been much els. New router fixing goes some way at least to confirming that. Allthough it could have just a glitch in the router I don't really think it was.

new router is a netgear N600  wireless dual band Gigabit router model WNDR3700v4. The only thing I needed to do was  change the login name to <anything>@btbroadband.com and set to PPoE - PPoA, as suggested elsewhere, wasn't an option.

All working fine now.

I resent very much BT fiddling with my hardware. I like it even less when they don't tell me they're doing it, when they waste my time by making a pigs ear of it I like it not one jot. But when their idiot support team suggest "testing the line" when the line is obviously fine, heads need to roll.

Snappy moderation here. I appreciate that. Thanks.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 38

I am pleased it is sorted, the latest home hub 3A firmware seems to have some bugs in it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 38

Understatement of the year!!
0 Ratings
mdurham
Message 19 of 38

Outgoing FTP access does seem to have been affected by the firmare upgrade of Home Hub 3A to Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.37

As a workaround in Filezilla: Try to connect - then try to connect again (aborting the original connection).

Connecting via SFTP rather than FTP also seems to work (but you'll probably need updated login details for the server).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 38

0 Ratings