cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rt2014
Beginner
Message 21 of 38

Re: FTP FAILED TO RETRIEVE DIRECTORY LISTING. PLEASE HELP I AM ON BT INFINITY 2

I have been advised to post here by BT telephone support , who after 20mins had no answers as its not a connection issue. I was told of a paid escalation but even a precall to them resulted in a 'we dont deal with FTP issues' response.

I have a Home Hub 5 and am getting the same issues as the original poster.

The FTP fails / hangs / dies on directory listing, sample log below :

--------

Coda 2.0.13 (x86_64) Session Transcript [Version 10.9.2 (Build 13C64)] (10/04/2014 13:07)

LibNcFTP 3.2.3 (July 23, 2009) compiled for UNIX

220: --------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------

You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.

Local time is now 13:07. Server port: 21.

This is a private system - No anonymous login

IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.

You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Connected to domainname.co.uk.

Cmd: USER username

331: User username OK. Password required

Cmd: PASS xxxxxxxx

230: OK. Current restricted directory is /

Cmd: TYPE A

200: TYPE is now ASCII

Logged in to domainame.co.uk as username.

Cmd: SYST

215: UNIX Type: L8

Cmd: FEAT

211: Extensions supported:

EPRT

IDLE

MDTM

SIZE

MFMT

REST STREAM

MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNIX.gid*;unique*;

MLSD

AUTH TLS

PBSZ

PROT

TVFS

ESTA

PASV

EPSV

SPSV

ESTP

End.

Cmd: PWD

---------

The issue is repeatable and ongoing. There is no issues with the infinty connection, thats dead nippy 🙂 

It is a proper PITA to not be able to use FTP.

Homehub Firmware is BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 , which appears to be the latest.

I am advised to post up here and see if there is support and solutions, and if not, ring back... 

Help! 🙂

0 Ratings
rt2014
Beginner
Message 22 of 38

Aside from ringing BT Support back does anyone have any ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 38

Bin the home hub and get a proper router.

0 Ratings
MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 38

Yes, just to chip in... I'm having the same FTP issues as mentioned above on my HH3. And this appears to have coincided with the same firmware update - Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.37 (Type A). (It's been working OK for years!)

And as stated above, I can connect on the 2nd attempt using FileZilla. The 1st attempt times out after 20 seconds.

All other FTP clients (WinSCP etc.) fail. Same problem with all computers on the LAN. Disabled all firewalls (PC and HH3) and anti-virus - no change.

If I take the HH3 out of the equation (eg. tether to my Android phone and use my mobile network) then it all works perfectly!

It's the HH / Firmware. QED.

0 Ratings
rt2014
Beginner
Message 25 of 38

I popped a support ticket in on this 8 days ago - does anyone know the turn around time to get a response?

0 Ratings
rt2014
Beginner
Message 26 of 38

May 2nd - still no reply to the support ticket nor on here. Telephone support nothing as well.

Not too good!

0 Ratings
woodej
Beginner
Message 27 of 38

Set up a new HH5 over the weekend and experienced the same problems on mine too.. Filezilla fails on the first connection but then successfully connects on the second attempt. My main problem though is an app on my iphone that will no longer connect at all (FTPManager) an excellent app that was working fine with my HH3 but hangs on => Send header step indefinately.

Come on BT get a fix out for this..

0 Ratings
Gwyndy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 38

I had not done any updates to my web site since February 2014 until I tried a few days ago. I then encountered the ftp problem that others have reported.  Both the ftp client in my web design software and FileZilla produce timeout errors when attempting to retrieve the directory listing.  I have eliminated all possible conflicts from anti-virus software, firewalls, etc.  If I connect direct to the LAN port on the BT Infinity modem both the web design software and FileZilla connect instantly. I have also tested the connection via a neighbour's TalkTalk system - again no problem.  It is beyond all doubt that the firmware upgrade to the HomeHub 3 in March 2014 is the cause of this issue.

I have had the most frustrating telephone converstaions with BT about this during the past few days.  Despite the plethora of reports on the web about the issue BT will not acknowledge that they have created the problem and do not seem inclined to do anything about it.  The only offers that I have had are to send me a refurbished HH3 (which is totally pointless) or for me to purchase a HH4.

It is outrageous that BT expects us to pay to resolve a problem of their creation.  I am in touch with the Executive Complaints Department about this matter and will report their resolution in due course.

Gwyndy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 38

More frustrating conversations with BT about this issue since my last post and sadly I didn't get anywhere with my contact in the Exec Complaints Team.  BT's policy is apparently only to replace HomeHubs on a like for like basis so the best I could have had free of charge was another HH3!!  However, I did eventually talk to a very helpful chap in the UK who has renewed my contract early despite my being told a couple of weeks ago that I couldn't do this until next year.  (He even waived the delivery charge on the new HH.)  There is a marginal increase of £1 per month for the service but as part of the new contract I have been sent a HH5.  This arrived today and so far is working fine.  Both my Web Design software and FileZilla connect instantly to my web host's server and immediately return the directory listing. 

I have at least now demonstrated conclusively to BT that the ftp problem has been caused by the firmware upgrade to the HH3 in March 2014.  I'm just hoping that the new HH5 is not going to receive a firmware update that will mess things up again.  Fingers crossed!

This has been an unnecessarily 'long haul' trying to get a resolution to this matter.  I do wish that BT personnel would recognise when someone has a very genuine problem and that they are talking to a person with good technical knowledge and good problem solving skills. I have asked my contact to try and ensure that the right technical people in BT know about this issue and actually do something about it. 

Anyway, we got there in the end.  I hope everyone else has found, or finds, a solution.

MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 38

Woodej wrote: ‎08-07-2014
Set up a new HH5 over the weekend and experienced the same problems on mine too..
Gwyndy wrote: ‎13-11-2014

... sent a HH5.  This arrived today and so far is working fine. 

Maybe there has been a more recent firmware update to the HH5 to make this work?

I still have this problem with my HH3 - but I have learned to live with just using FileZilla. In FileZilla you can speed up the process of "connecting the second time" by immediately "cancelling the current operation" when you first attempt to connect, hit the "disconnect" button and then hit the "reconnect" button (these 3 buttons are next to each other on the toolbar). Yazam! Yes, it's crazy.

(I'm a bit amazed that I've not seen more written about this issue?! To be honest I don't think everyone has been affected? I queried this with a HH3 Mac user some time ago (I'm on Win7) and they didn't seem to have a problem? What does FileZilla do different that enables it to connect on the 2nd attempt/reconnect and seemingly all other FTP clients fail?)

0 Ratings