cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gwyndy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 38

Re: FTP FAILED TO RETRIEVE DIRECTORY LISTING. PLEASE HELP I AM ON BT INFINITY 2

The new HH that I have been sent is 'BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) Software version v0.07.01.0235-BT', date of last firmware update shown as 'unknown' presumably because it is new.  Interesting that rt2014 in an earlier post is having the ftp problem with a HH5 typeA.  I have read somewhere that people are only having the problem with a HH3 if it is a type A - the type B seems OK.

I too am amazed that there are not more people reporting the ftp issue but then I guess that the vast majority of users are only using their broadband connection for web browsing, e-mail, etc.  I found the problem originally when I tried to do some updates to my family history web site.  I use Serif's WebPlus software and this fooled me for some time because it didn't report the problem as a timeout issue.  It was only when I installed FileZilla that I saw what was really happening.  I have no idea why FileZilla connects on the second attempt MrP - that is exactly what I found when using the HH3.

I could have used FileZilla for web site updates but it would have been very inconvenient.  WebPlus maintains a 'manifest' file locally and on the web host's server.  When one does an update it compares the two files and only uploads those pages that have been changed.

I would encourage all those of you with this problem to contact BT and point them to this forum topic.  It'll be a long slog getting past the first line of BT's telephone defence systems but maybe if they receive more reports they might actually acknowledge that it is they who have messed things up. (And that's putting it very politely!)

0 Ratings
istorey
Message 32 of 38

These problems are exactly the ones affecting me. I have not updated my website for over a year and recently I tried to no avail. Kept getting a message saying 'an error occurred trying to get the working directory from the FTP server'. Uploads OK on filezilla after two attempts but using my software is sooooo much easier.

Will be contacting BT to get a HH5 upgrade and leave a post if all turns out well or otherwise.

0 Ratings
ianad123
Message 33 of 38

Setting on the passive mode worked for me using FTP in Dreamweaver to upload files, many thnaks
Electron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 38

When I changed to BT infinity I was sent a homehub 5 . I have been updating my websites for many years with ftp on standard broadband. Now I cannot update my websites it times out. If I go next door with my laptop it connects using ftp instantly they have a hh2 and they are on BT  standard broadband. I have tried BT for help after a lot of explaining to them about the problem but they have not fixed the problem. So it seems I have a similar problem to other people on this post.

0 Ratings
craiggrannell
Beginner
Message 35 of 38

Same thing suddenly started happening to me last week. It's clearly something weird BT's doing. Bizarrely, the HH5 _will_ connect to FTP on BTWifi-with-FON, just not on the secure networks. (That's my workaround for now. Then I'll get a new router, once I decide on a model. Then I'll jump ship from BT Infinity to another provider that doesn't seem to think that using FTP is a baffling and esoteric thing to be using broadband for.)

0 Ratings
Electron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 38

Yes it is something to do with homehub 5 and how it works with their system. I proved it buy getting hold of an open reach modem and feeding it into a homehub 3 and FTP was fine then. I did this after spending hours talking to BT support and them telling me it was not there fault. I don't know why they don't own up to the fact they have a problem providing FTP with homehub 5 and BT infinity. After all FTP is something that is widely used as standard for updating websites , nothing new.

0 Ratings
MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 38

@Electron wrote:

...and feeding it into a homehub 3 and FTP was fine then.

Well, I still have the problem with a HH3. Maybe it's related to the version of firmware and "type"? Mine is "Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.37 (Type A)" and has not been updated since 19/03/2014.

However, it is also (somehow) related to the specific FTP servers you are connecting to and the FTP client you are using! Fortunately, using a recent version (v3.18.0) of FileZilla (other FTP clients have been problematic) I am able to connect to my primary host (where I host the majority of my sites). However, trying to connect to other FTP servers is still problematic, so a new router is only a matter of time. (I have given up the HH5 "upgrade" in view of recent comments.)

I have only recently signed out of BT/Fon (so can't try that one) in an attempt to improve wireless connectivity - although I'm not convinced that has made any difference!? (Certainly having signed out of BT/Fon, once the router caught up, the amount of wireless congestion as reported by "Wifi Analyzer" on Android is visibly reduced.)

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 38 of 38

@MrP is correct in his statement "also (somehow) related to the specific FTP servers you are connecting to and the FTP client you are using".

I replied with more details to @craiggrannell in the post FTP timeouts to a specific IP using BT Infinity Wi-Fi but not BTWifi-with-FON.

Regards