Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
richarde90
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

FTTP 1 Stage Installation

Go to solution

Hi Forum,

I recently noticed the address I'm living at has ultra fast fibre 2 plus available, after putting up with 18mb down in a house with 4 people for a few years I immediately called up and got a date. I was told on the phone I did not need to be in for the engineer and wasn't informed about anything being installed on the outside of the house (it's not my house).

After a bit more research it looks as though based on the details about your engineer appointment page, I will need to be in for the entire duration of the visit and also they may have to install a 'CSP'? box on the outside of the building. I'm a little frustrated as none of that was explained to me, they did say installation on the outside but I just considered that to be feeding something else into the residence through the same means as the current copper. (How big is a CSP box?, does it have to be where the current cable is or can it be anywhere on the front of the property?)

Can anyone give me further information on the procedure and reality of the installation process? I have a hospital appointment bang on the end of the engineers window so will need to be gone and they may not of even arrived yet. Any advice would be appreciated. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers

Rich

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: FTTP 1 Stage Installation

Go to solution

Hi @richarde90 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm really sorry the installation process wasn't fully explained when you spoke to the sales team.  If your line comes from an overhead cable then I don't believe an external CSP is needed. If one is needed its not very big but I don't have the dimensions to hand, there are a few pictures if you google openreach CSP that will give you an idea of what it will look like.

This thread on FFTH installations goes into a bit more detail of what's involved depending on how your fibre will be fed to your property. I'd also recommend you check out this help page How Fibre to the home is installed.

0 Ratings
richarde90
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for your response, I have seen a picture but I can't really get a sense of scale maybe someone else can supply dimensions? I still have 2 questions, how do I know how I'm going to be served.. do I look at poles near my house ? and do I have to be in for this process? I was specifically told I wouldn't have to be at home but the BT Official Detail on the installation process states the exact opposite. Also if I do not need a CSP I'm guessing I need an ONT or something inside? But I was told they didn't need to come inside. It's all a bit confusing, I'm trying to handle this in the best way to ensure I can actually get installation next Weds and not have to rearrange..

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @richarde90 How does your line come into your home at the moment is it fed from a pole or does it come in underground? 

Can you enter your phone number on this availability checker and post the results including the information below the table as that might shed a bit more light on the installation required for your home. Make sure to remove your telephone number before posting the results.

0 Ratings
richarde90
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

It's fed from a pole and it looks like I can see the fibre 'things' up there over the road! It comes down the front of the property right next to the front door and feeds through the wall. My concern is this is probably the most visible spot when you enter the property but being it's currently only a cable it's not too bad.. with a box it might be less than ideal.

I had ran this checker previously myself but have included the image, hopefully you get something from this ๐Ÿ™‚

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@richarde90 If its overhead Openreach don't use the CSP outside but you will need to be in for the visit to allow them to fit and connect the ONT as its a 1 stage install.  

What does it say underneath the table you posted on the checker results?

0 Ratings
richarde90
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Well it's good about not needing a box however I was told I didn't have to be in so I'm going to have to move my appointment potentially ๐Ÿ˜ž It says 9AM-1PM but I will need to be gone at 12 so can't guarantee I'll be in for them to fit the box. Also the installation sounds difficult based on the text below the test:

"Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed crosses busy road requiring two engineers.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange."

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

@richarde90 That's not good, I'm sorry you were advised no visit would be required. Post back and let me know how you get on when you call?

0 Ratings
richarde90
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

I rang up and got through to someone who doesn't support FTTP only FTTC but advised I shouldn't of been told I didn't need to be in. The next slot they had was another week away on a Friday which I couldn't make either, I'm going to try have someone in when they come.. They didn't know any detail about the installation process so I still am not 100% whether I'll get a box or not but I'd assume not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

phone 08005874787 who deal with FTTP and they should be able to help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on โ€™Mark as Accepted Solutionโ€™.
0 Ratings