cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Badamadam
Message 1 of 22

FTTP Confusion...

Hi all, I've recently been told by openreach that our FTTP build will be complete by the end of April with speed tiers of 50,100 - 350. Which is fantastic.

But Since looking on the forum regarding the FTTP speeds I've seen some ranging from 500-1gbps for the FTTPod service.

Is this only rolled out in some areas? I'm not complaining, I'll be happy with the 350, it's just interesting to know why that service wouldn't be available to me.

Since I live in a new build we have not had any FTTC. So I presume they went straight for FTTP as this would be future proof and more efficient than copper.

With kind regards
Adam
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: FTTP Confusion...

Welcome to this customer to customer forum. @Badamadam

Only Openreach would know that information.

FTTPod is very expensive, and normally only offered to businesses.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

As posted FTTPod is a very expensive product costs in the £1000's to instyall also it has a three year minimum contract
0 Ratings
Badamadam
Message 4 of 22

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!

I'm still confused. Are you saying the 1gbps service is only available to FTTPod and not with standard FTTP service?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

yes
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Badamadam
Message 6 of 22

Thanks John! Is this down to FTTPod using different technologies than FTTP. Or is it just a premium service?

With the rise of gigaclear, hyperoptic, and others I didn't think it would be long before OpenReach offered this1gbps to their providers

Thanks for the help!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

no the technologies are the same just the residential users are unlikely to get a big enough take up of that sort of speed also the cost factor comes into it with most users
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Openreach released their 1gbps service last year.

I've not seen anyone take them up on it yet. Saying that though of the 100+ FTTP lines I've done only 1 person has taken the 330/30 package.

The majority go for the 55/10, which clearly proves the point not everyone wants Ultrafast Broadband and it merely the tiny vocal minority who go on about it.
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 9 of 22

That's most likely just a sign that the service as offered costs far too much for mere mortals. I don't know anyone at all who doesn't want the highest broadband speed they can get, limited only by its cost.  If the product team would like to see more orders, lower its cost.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

If they truely needed or wanted it they'd have it. Because they don't like I said, proves my point it's a very tiny minority out there who only want it.
0 Ratings