cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 22

Re: FTTP Confusion...

I have to agree with @MorgaineD. The preference of the general public would be 80 rather than 55, and 1000 rather than 330, but it's not cost effective at this time. We all have finite budgets, and as such have to do a 'cost benefit analysis'. At this time the cost does not warrant the benefit.

Regards
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 12 of 22

@TelephoneBob:  It doesn't prove your point at all, as your point can apply only when money is no object.

Alas, for the vast majority of people, the exact opposite is true, and therefore despite truly needing or wanting it, they won't buy it when its cost exceeds their budget.

0 Ratings
Badamadam
Message 13 of 22

We also have to bear in mind that with Netflix, 4K and now 8k TVs coming soon the demand for faster internet will become more apparent for the average consumer.

I am a small business owner and need ultra fast internet for syncing to the cloud and working with massive files having that faster speed increases my productivity.

I think the point tht consumers go for the lower tier roadband is indicative that they're not fully aware of the benefits of a faster broadband as we're all told 80mbps is ultra fast from the way copper broadband is marketed. So it is ultimately a disservice to the providers for not pushing the consumer for the better broadband and giving good important arguments.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 14 of 22

What should  be taken into consideration is the upload speed.  This is the factor limiting the usefulness of the connection.  Look at the moans of Cloud users here, never mind the software problems they have with it, the main issue is the length of time it takes to transmit files to the remote storage site that limits the usefulness of the service.

Would I like 1GBps?  Yes, of course I would.  Do I really need 1GBps?  Not really.

For most residential use a Synchronous speed of 80 - 100 would be adequate.  The upload speed is becoming increasingly important.  For example I could have a 200/20 Mbps connection, with no traffic shaping, from Virgin for £50/month whenever I want but with the upload not any better than my 80/20 Infinity what's the point?  There would be no really useful benefit.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 22

@Badamadam wrote:

I am a small business owner and need ultra fast internet for syncing to the cloud and working with massive files having that faster speed increases my productivity.

BT Business do offer faster speeds over Optical SDH, or ever SHDS (Ethernet), but its probably way above your budget.

0 Ratings
Badamadam
Message 16 of 22

Thanks Keith, I wasn't aware of this. I am indeed a small business but the investment would be worth it. I've tried digging as much information as possible. The forums are great although the specific steps I need to do is hard to find and can't find any transparency regarding all of this.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 22

@Badamadam wrote:
Thanks Keith, I wasn't aware of this. I am indeed a small business but the investment would be worth it. I've tried digging as much information as possible. The forums are great although the specific steps I need to do is hard to find and can't find any transparency regarding all of this.

@Badamadam

This is actually the residential forum, so it might be worth looking at the BT Business forum, as there are likely to be more suggestions there. http://business.forums.bt.com/

Leased line is an option, this would be delivered over SDH or Ethernet.

https://business.bt.com/content/bt/business/en/products/broadband/bt-leased-lines.html

From £239 a month for 10Mb or £487 for 100Mb

I used to maintain these, and they were very popular, especially as any faults were fixed quickly Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 18 of 22

@Badamadam

What Keith is talking about is a leased line which as he suggested is available from BT Business. E.g:

https://business.bt.com/content/bt/business/en/products/broadband/bt-leased-lines.html

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 22

@jac_95

Snap Smiley Wink

I see there is a special offer on at the moment.

0 Ratings
Badamadam
Message 20 of 22

Thanks! However my useabe would be part business part residential as my office is in my home!
0 Ratings