cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

FTTP Installation - ONT/router setup

Go to solution

Hi all,

I’ve done a bit of searching through the forum but haven’t come across the answer to my specific question.

Got an engineer coming tomorrow to install full fibre and I want to have as much prep in place as possible. My question is this: can the ONT be connected to my existing network via an Ethernet switch? 

To put it into context, I believe the fibre cable will run from a pole at the back of my house, into a room at the back. If the ONT is installed there, I have already run an Ethernet cable from there to the hall cupboard where there is a gigabit switch. This switch is then connected to the router elsewhere via another cable. So ONT->switch->various network connections including router. Will this work? 

Or, will I need to move my router into the hall cupboard (not great for WiFi I know) and have the router between the ONT and the rest of my network  ie. ONT->router->switch->then into my other connections?

Sorry if I’m not using all the correct technical terms, hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks 👍🏼

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP Installation - ONT/router setup

Go to solution

The ONT needs to be connected to the router WAN port, how you achieve that is up to you but the switch needs to be between the router's LAN ports and your devices if you wish it to serve multiple devices.

I.e you need to place the router in the cupboard with the switch.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Ah ok thanks. If I was to buy another separate switch and put that in the hall cupboard purely to link the ONT->new switch->router->back to old switch->rest of network... would that allow me to keep router in present position? Thanks again
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Why would you need another switch? You can only have one connection between the ONT and Router, just use an RJ45 coupler to join 2 cables together.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

However you decide to physically achieve it, the logical arrangement can only be ONT > WAN port Router LAN port > Switch > multiple devices.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Very true! Sometimes you can’t see the wood for the trees 😂

Is there any issue with cable length between ONT and router? Probably around 30-40m although I’ve got a fair bit coiled so would need to uncoil it all to double check if there was a limit. Thanks again. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Cat 5E Ethernet has a limit of 100M

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks!

0 Ratings