cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

FTTP Installation questions

Go to solution

I've just ordered FTTP 900 and I'd like to ask some advice to prepare for the engineer next week. At the moment, the copper wire comes from a pole, runs down the front of the house, passes through a hole in the top of the wooden door frame, and along the skirting to the phone socket in the hall.

There isn't enough space to mount a CSP outside the door frame, so what's the best thing to do? Can they put the CSP on the wall and run a thinner cable from it where the copper wire currently goes through the door frame?

The alternative is drill a hole in the front wall and bring it into to the living room, but the copper wire comes down the other side of the wall where there's no space inside, so can they change the point where the wire meets the house?

Also, in that room, the only place for the Smart Hub would be next to the TV but would that affect the wifi? If we wanted to move the Hub to the hall, could we do it with a long ethernet cable perhaps under the floorboards?

Grateful for any help or advice. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP Installation questions

Go to solution

The FTTP installation does not have to follow the exact route of the copper line installation. Within reason the external fibre optic can be run to a suitable point for the CSP. The fibre optic cable from the CSP can be run outside the house as well before entering the property. The modem - or ONT - will be placed close to the where the fibre optic cable enters the property. So think where the best place might be. Near a power socket of course. The router is connected to the ONT with an ethernet cable, so the ONT and the router do not have to be close PROVIDED you can route an ethernet cable in a satisfactory manner. The supplied cable is not all that long though.

Best advice - think what would work best for you, be welcoming to the technician and be prepared to be flexible.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks for the very helpful reply to my first ever posting here 🙂

It sounds like the answer then is to follow the route the copper wire goes along now, but how thick is the fibre cable that leaves the CSP?

I'm also a little confused about whether the fibre needs to come out of the back of the CSP (i.e. into a wall) or whether it can leave via the side if the CSP is fixed to a solid wall, on its way to the hole in the door frame.

If the latter, we can just put the ONT where the old BT socket was and leave the router in the hall. There are plenty of power sockets there.

Otherwise, would it work to put an ethernet cable under the floorboards perhaps in some kind of protective covering?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

The fibre optic can go sideways out of the CSP and track along the outside house wall. Mine does.

Sure - ethernet cable under the floor - as you say with some protection from vermin. Plastic tube? Copper tube? depends how handy you are. You can buy various grades of protected of ethernet cable. Depends how big the mouse are!

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
How thick is the fibre cable compared to the old copper? And any idea of the size of the ONT?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

IMG_0096 (1).jpeg

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Perfect! Thanks!
0 Ratings