cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

FTTP Wifi Speed Drop

Just had my FTTP fitted today, tested with engineer at location of router (well in that room) 300+mbs up and 50mbs down, happy days, or so i thought. 

Went into the main living room, 2 walls away and aproximately 20ft away the way the crow flies and i get 5-20mbs. 

Call BT, we dont gurantee wifi was their answer. 

Did some test, they are providing the correct speed to the router so no issues to them. 

More calls and they said i need to split the bands and are sending me  a homehub 1 so i can choose then band. 

Failing this they say i should relocated the router and incoming bos to where i want speed the most. 

Any suggestions here, i was excited to get a decent speed after 2 years of 4mbs but now i am not much away from that within my main living area. 

HELP 😞 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: FTTP Wifi Speed Drop

@nathanscholes38 wrote:

Just had my FTTP fitted today, tested with engineer at location of router (well in that room) 300+mbs up and 50mbs down, happy days, or so i thought. 

Went into the main living room, 2 walls away and aproximately 20ft away the way the crow flies and i get 5-20mbs. 

Call BT, we dont gurantee wifi was their answer. 

Correct, no ISP does, there are too many variables.

Did some test, they are providing the correct speed to the router so no issues to them. 

Again correct, as above.

More calls and they said i need to split the bands and are sending me  a homehub 1 so i can choose then band. 

Worth a try

Failing this they say i should relocated the router and incoming bos to where i want speed the most. 

Best option

Any suggestions here, i was excited to get a decent speed after 2 years of 4mbs but now i am not much away from that within my main living area. 

HELP 😞 

You could try turning off the 5Ghz wifi as you can't split the bands on the SH2 and thus force your devices to use the 2.4Ghz band. 5Ghz is faster but covers much less distance and is easily attenuated by walls etc so you might be better using 2.4Ghz.

Message 3 of 15

I have 2 hub 2s due to a mistake by BT. they said I can keep it as a spare.
Could I run a ethernet cable from one router to the other and have one in each room?
If so can I have it so it connects to whichever is stronger depending on the room I'm in?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Yep, you can do that. Give the second hub an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the master hub (say 192.168.1.10), turn off DHCP on the second hub and connect the 2 together LAN port to LAN port.

Message 5 of 15

Hi
Not wanting to sound stupid, but would that improve speed?
In the second living room.
Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

Yes it should do as the second hub will be getting full speed via ethernet then broadcasting via wireless with nothing in the way.

Message 7 of 15

Could I do this using powerline adapters so I don't have to run a cable?
If so would that affect speed?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Yes, you could use powerline adaptors. Speed will be governed by the speed of the adaptors and quality of your mains wiring, get the fastest adaptors possible.

Message 9 of 15

Hi @nathanscholes38 and welcome.

Hope it's ok to jump in here... I use powerline adaptors myself having replaced a load of wires and they work a treat. As long as the sockets are on the same electrical ring you're in business. Thanks to @licquorice  and @pippincp  for the advice here.

Cheers

david

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Keep getting message the gateway ip settings are not valid on the bt smart hub.
Trying to change it from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.1.255
Dont understand
0 Ratings