Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StuMcBill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

FTTP and eero

Go to solution

Does anyone have an eero connected to a FTTP connection?

I know that eero doesn’t work with PPPOE connections directly, which is what FTTP is.

Ive read that I will need to use my existing smart hub and run it in a double-Nat configuration, but a lot of people seem to say this will cause issues?

Can I disable the wireless of the smart hub and put the eero into the DMZ, or is there anyway I can connect my FTTP connection direct to eero?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
albertj
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: FTTP and eero

Go to solution

Hi @StuMcBill 

Unfortunately, FTTP does require a PPPoE session. 

I think it would be better to put them in Access Point / Bridge Mode where your Smart Hub will handle all the routing and the Eero can handle the Wi-Fi. You can then disable Wi-Fi on your Smart Hub but leave everything else as is.

I found a guide on doing this but can't post it due to forum rules but it can be easily found online.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
StuMcBill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Got it setup, using my Smarthub 1 with Wifi turned off and the eero in the DMZ.  Seems to work great.

Thanks,

Stewart

0 Ratings
albertj
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @StuMcBill 

Glad to hear it, enjoy! 😊

Please do post back with any further queries. 

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
liamscor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi StuMcBill,

I am considering getting the eero, and setting it up as you have with the bt smart hub 2.

I'm just interested in how you have found eero overall since you got it.

Regards,

Liam

0 Ratings
StuMcBill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

No complaints here so far. Fast, reliable, timely updates, 1st router with Apple HomeKit secure support. 

I’d have no hesitations recommending it. I’d obviously rather not have the BT hub in the chain, but you will need it to do the PPPoE authentication. 

0 Ratings
Sion13
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @StuMcBill 

Thanks for the info. Can you advise how you managed to get it in the DMZ?

I have turned off the WiFi, but it doesn't show up as a connected device. So cannot continue with setup.

0 Ratings
StuMcBill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

All I did was plug in the eero (and only the eero) into the BT hub, found out what IP address it had been assigned, forced the BT Hub to always give that IP address to the eero, and then add that IP to the DMZ.

I can't check exactly the steps at the moment, as I don't have wifi turned on on the smart hub, and can't easily access it with ethernet at the moment.

Hope this helps somewhat.  Eero are supposed to be adding PPoE support at some point, but no idea when.

Stewart

0 Ratings
Sion13
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for replying @StuMcBill 

My problem appears to be that I cant see the eero in the connections when connected via ethernet, so it doesn't show. I'll keep plugging away and post steps if I get it going.

0 Ratings