cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

FTTP connecting sg-3100 pfsense firewall

Currently my network looks like this Openreach modem >> pfsense (via pppoe) >> unifi switches and AP.

IP adress range set on DHCP 192.168.1.x . I've set it probably 4-5 years ago and remember vaguely that I had to change Openreach IP address to 192.168.0.x.

Now, what is default IP of BT ONT?

Is there any way to change IP address on them?

Is there any option to be able to see modem stats like with old Openreach modem? 

Thing I'm trying to avoid is to change my DHCP and manual IP range that I currently use. 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: FTTP connecting sg-3100 pfsense firewall

@meaple 

Do you use your landline phone, if so, then you would need to use the BT Smart Hub 2?

I do not think you can access the ONT, and as its only a modem, it would be given a dynamic IP address from the BT network, probably from a gateway router. You only needed the IP address of your existing FTTC modem, so you could access the line connection details.

You should be able to use any LAN address range that you wish, as that will be allocated by your router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

You cannot access the ONT. Your internal LAN IP addressing is entirely independent of the ONT which is just a modem. The only reason it would have an IP address at all would be for its management as was for the copper modems.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

@Keith_Beddoe I don't use landline at all, so I can go ONT >> pfsence >> rest of network,or I would need smth between ONT and pfsense?

@licquorice So if there is no IP on ONT (for pppoe side) then it should be just plug and play. Unless I need something in between.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Exactly, just swap the connection from DSL modem to ONT. Nothing to change.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Thank you very much for your help. I'm looking forward to testing this ... It sounds too simple to be truth 😉

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

It is simple, you are just exchanging a copper modem for a fibre modem. Nothing changes from your internal network point of view.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Once again, thanks. Also are there any alternatives for BT ONT? What to look for spec wise?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

No, you can only use the supplied Openreach ONT. The serial number is also individually tied to your account due to the way FTTP works.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

So no option for having backup either,  like with old copper ones... Oh well, then there is just a hope ONT will not pack up.

0 Ratings