cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m0ssim0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

FTTP slower speeds with Google Wifi

I've recently had Full Fibre 900 installed and I've replaced the Smart Hub with Google WiFi as I need a mesh system to provide coverage over the whole house. The Smart Hub wasn't capable of this. I connected the Google WiFi directly to the ONT and used the PPPoE settings to get a connection. Since doing this though I've noticed that my wired speeds have dropped in comparison to what I was seeing with the Smart Hub. Is there any reason why this is happening? Do I need to tweak any additional settings? Or is it just down to the system not being as capable as the Smart Hub?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
brookheather
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP slower speeds with Google Wifi

The Google Wifi isn't capable of PPPoE at gigabit speeds - many current consumer routers are not able to provide this download speed due to their limited cpu.

0 Ratings
m0ssim0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks educating me, it's appreciated. I was thinking of replacing the Google WiFi  with a higher spec WiFi mesh, what type of specs would I need to ensure this has so that I can ensure its capable of getting a higher speed over PPPoE? What do I need to look for? I was looking at Asus's ZenWifi, the Tri-band AC version. How do I know this is suitable? Thanks

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

Have you also looked into the complete wifi option with BT as they'll send you up to 3 discs to extend the wifi if you upgrade to it

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 5 of 5

I would expect the Asus ZenWifi to be suitable for gigabit PPPoE though I haven't seen any wired gigabit tests online yet - on wireless you should get 600Mbps at short range with suitable client network card.  Best to buy it from somewhere you can easily return it if it isn't suitable.  One point to note is that these routers require hardware NAT acceleration and enabling some of the router features such as parental controls may slow it down.  If you do buy this router please return and post your speed results.

0 Ratings