Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SophieMayK
Message 1 of 9

Fiber can't seem to share.

Hello,

I have an irratating issue at the moment. We currently have Fiber Optic and as I write this our speed is 24mbps download and 5mbsp upload. The router is connected to my dad's PC downstairs. Mine and my brother's computers are both upstairs, I am directly above the router and my brother is offset, further away.

The first time we had an issue was when either one of my brother and I would download from Steam, who ever was downloading would hog the bandwidth. We corrected this by using NetLimiter.

Now my brother has got NetFlicks which he streams via his PS3. On your netflick account you can set which quality you'd like to stream at (S,HD,Ultra HD) but via the PS3, you can't. So whenever my brother watches NetFlicks, I get completely cut off or my internet goes so slow I might as well not even bother. We both use wireless dongles 150mbps, yet somehow he gets priority over me and I get cut off. I tried logging into the BT Hub and setting my PC to get port forwarding but this made no difference.

Why is it that with our speeds, we can't seem to share it? With Fibre surely we should both be able to use the internet at once?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fiber can't seem to share.

You can do this with a router that supports IP QOS, that is a router that can limit the bandwidth based on IP address. Unfortunately, the Homehub doesn't offer this.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
SophieMayK
Message 3 of 9

Yeah, I've looked into QOS already, and as you said our router doesn't support this. Would purchasing another router cause any issues? Would I need a 300mbps router?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

You could buy a router that supports IP QOS and use it either in addition to the Homehub or as a replacement, depending on the Homehub. You would then have to set it up correctly to do what you want. Depending on what you have now, and whether it's in addition or a replacement and how much your willing to pay, will determine which one to go for.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
SophieMayK
Message 5 of 9

Would a replacement be better or an additional? I tried setting up a TP-Link router earlier to use but didn't have much luck getting it to work as an extender. I tried using it on my PC hoping it would boost the signal further but it would only work plugged into my dads and therefore wouldn't extend any further than the BT Hub. It is an old TP-link with instructions for XP so perhaps a newer one would work hah. What would you say would be a decent price? If it actually works and means I can use the internet as well I'd be willing to pay a bit more. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Which model TP Link?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
SophieMayK
Message 7 of 9

TL-WA701ND V.1. I tried following the guides on their website and was successful when the router was plugged into my dad's PC but I wanted it as an additional elsewhere in the house, when plugged into my PC it just didn't register anything being plugged into the ethernet port. The router featured on their website doesn't look anything like mine so I assume its an older model.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

That's a wireless access point and doesn't offer IP QOS as you probably know.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
SophieMayK
Message 9 of 9

Yes, my intention was just to use it to try and further a stronger signal but after speaking with my dad he said he'd rather just hardwire me than get a new router. I assume this would work as well.

0 Ratings