Did you mean: 
nish1013
Message 1 of 29

Fiber to home : smart hub how to connect

Go to solution

Hi All ,

I've got the following hub 

Smart Hub with red ethernet

I did not receive a modem cable like my previous home broadband (virgin)

I've got a white box from Openreach with a grey color ethernet cable . So I connected it to Smart hub's WAN port (red color)

Is this the correct setup ?

Thank you

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Fiber to home : smart hub how to connect

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

You connect it to the Openreach ONT as shown below.

Image1.jpg

nish1013
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

@Keith_BeddoeThank you ! This is exactly what we have. And I've got an extra grey ethernet cable from the 'open reach' box (your picture 1) , so I connected it to WAN (smart hub red socket). Sounds right ?
Do I need to use 'Broadband port' ? Sorry I got so confused after having a chat with BT chat help.

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 09.03.25.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Only one connection is needed, that is from the LAN1 port on the fibre modem, to the WAN connection on the smart hub.

See this help page http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13743/~/buttons-and-sockets-on-the-openreach-fibre-mo...

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

The colour of the cables is immaterial, they are identical, it is just for quick identification.

gavinl1967
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

Ok, so I have one of these also and have finally (after many phonecalls to BT and chasing up Openreach engineers on the development) managed to get wifi up and running in my new build property - my 13 year old is no longer threatening to kill me 😉

However, the hub and router are both sited in an under stair cupboard at the back of the house - so not an ideal position for the router.

Is there any way to set this up so I can have the router sited in a more central position in the house?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

You can get an ethernet cable and run it to where you want the router positioned.  Ethernet cables can be up to 325 feet in length.  About 100M.

0 Ratings
gavinl1967
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks for the fast reply.

If thats the case, I'll leave the router where it is, as I don't want to have to drill holes and run cables around a brand new house.  I thought there would be an easy way of plugging the router into the phone line beside the Openreach modem.  I've attached a photgraph of the setup if thats any help.  Router sitting on the floor under the modem.Fibre setup

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

No, ethernet is the only feasible way for a good connection.  Where I am was a new build when we moved in, I ran ethernet from the front ground floor to the back room upstairs.  Along skirting round door frames etc.  No problem.  You could get the cable colour to match the paintwork if you want.

0 Ratings
gavinl1967
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks again.

I''ll go and buy some very thin or flat ethernet cable and run it to the best location.

Cheers, much appreciated.

0 Ratings