cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Fibre 1 - Mesh Options

I've just switched to BT from Virgin.  I've got the Fibre 1 package (best I can get in my area at the moment), and I'm using 3 Tenda MW6 cubes that I had previously to improve wifi coverage.  I've been looking through the different products in the store and noticed the Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi discs are on sale at the moment.  Apologies if this is a stupid question, but if I was to buy them can I use them alongside the MW6?  I still have a few areas in the house that are a little on the slow side.  And if anyone has experience of using both, which are better?

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fibre 1 - Mesh Options

@dbarr1966 

No, I would not advise doing that, it would be a better option to add an extra node to the Tenda MW6.  You can use up to ten nodes, but a maximum of six is best for stability.

I use the MW3 system with four nodes.

Remember to turn off the Wifi on the BT Home hub, to avoid interference with the Tenda mesh.

The BT Whole Home system requires a minimum of two discs to work.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

3. The connection isn't terrible with them, and I guess I'm going to have to get used to not having 150-200mb dl speed anymore, but I was just hoping to try and improve the speed in certain areas, mainly outdoors in my shed/studio where I do a lot of dl and ul. Sorry I don't have much of an idea about this sort of thing so I may be looking at the wrong options anyway!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

If you just want to extend it to a shed, then wifi is not the best option. You can use something like this to extend the broadband connection.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

These offer two Ethernet ports and a separate local wifi network.

What speeds are you getting?

Use this tester, and connect using an Ethernet cable to connect.

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

What does it show?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I've got an old TP-Link extender I could use.  Only problem is the engineer couldn't put the socket where I wanted it, covid restrictions apparently, so the hub is in an area with only a single socket.  I've always assumed an extender needs to be plugged directly in a socket rather than an extension lead.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

A short mains extension is fine, provided it does not have filtered sockets.

There are plenty of short (2 metre or less) four way extension  strips available.

0 Ratings