Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Claybourne
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Fibre optic installation question

Hi

I am interested in fibre optic broadband but there may be problems in physically routing a cable into my house, is it possible to have an engineer call to assess the situation before commencing an order for installation?

Thanks for any replies.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fibre optic installation question

better to check what is available first  enter phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Claybourne
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

from the bt checker you can get

fibre optic .... estimated download 31Mb-39Mb, up load 6Mb-8Mb

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 12

Do you have an existing "copper" phone line that enters the property?

As from the estimate you have posted, you can get FTTC fibre broadband which utilises the existing "copper" line from your property to your street cabinet.

If a survey/extra plant equipment or a "copper" line needs to be installed to the property before hand then a site survey may be needed and you should be notified when you order.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Claybourne
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

I have an existing copper wire connection via a BT telephone line which is an 'overhead' cable. I was given to understand that a fibre optic connection MUST be fibre optic cable in to the house and that the fibre optic cable MUST be buried. It is the "buried" bit that, near the house, presents the problem, that's why I think it would be better to get a "survey" first.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

from the estimate looks like infinity 1 up to 40mb - assuming tyou have a phone line hence able to do test then there is no installation required  the fibre is to street cabinet and then your existing phone line to your home - should not need a survey just sounds like normal FTTC connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Claybourne
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Ta, I will look into a FTTC connection

0 Ratings
Claybourne
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Addendum, for FTTC where can I find out what the installation process is i.e. is entry to the house required etc. , what hardware is supplied and when it is supplied?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 12

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

if it is FTTC infinity 1 then that for most people is a self installation.  you get the new hub and  probably couple of new filters and then you just conenct filter to test socket, rj11 cable to hub and that's it

If infinity2 then you get engineer visit to fit new filtered master socket. engineer will then conenct hub and check to make sure infinity is working

if your estimate was <40mb then no point in getting infinity 2 as you will not benefit

if you get an openreach engineer not contractor then he will change an extension socket to the master is that will be more convenient

0 Ratings