cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hockley007
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Fibre to home modem/router replacement

I have a new build property and have BT infinity fibre going into the house. Can I replace the Bt open reach modem and Bt hub router with this:
TP-Link ARCHER VR900 V2 AC1900
I just want one box that can do the job of these 2 as they take up too much room in the hall.
Thanks
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fibre to home modem/router replacement

FTTP modem.jpg

you can't replace this

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Hockley007
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

I hate that box, it’s also attached to a smaller white box and is just too messy in the hallway.
Why can’t I replace it?
Can’t I just plug the bt optical fibre cable into a new modem/router like the TPlink ac1900? and just have 1 box
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

the tplink can't cope with the fibre optic cable only the ethernet/wan or an rj11 modem cable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Hockley007
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for your help.
Is there anything out there that can take a fibre optic cable and be a modem and router all in one?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

don't think so

vast majority of people would love to be in your position with FTTP

you may be able to get openreach to move it to another location but at a cost

0 Ratings
Hockley007
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thanks, I might have to, we keep banging into it.
Also, does it need to be connected to a separate smaller white box? (It has a light on it for faults)
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

it's a standard connection   I am sure if they could save money on setup then they would

0 Ratings
Hockley007
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

bt openreach fttp modem battery backup

Can you use the bt openreach fttp modem without the battery backup connected?
(I know it’s there for emergencies in a power cut, but I have a thing called a mobile phone for that.)
It’s just looks messy attached in the hallway.
Cheers
0 Ratings