cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Fibre to the premises 800Mps all devices connect to BT hub but not all devices get broadband

I have FFTP 800Mps I have various devices which all connect to broadband if connected to a BT mini hub or hot spot from mobile phone . All devices connect at good speed to the BT hub, which has been changed three times and reset many times.

The problem is that not all devices connect broadband and those that do are slow to open up pages.

The BT engineers  come and see the problem on my computers and sometimes on their own. When they test the system they find no fault and pass the problem to Open Reach, who have changed the Fibre and plug to ONT, new ONT and the cables to router. They have rebuilt the fibre  but can find no fault using their instruments but they do see my problems and have also seen on their own computer. They close the fault and refer it back to BT. this cycle has gone on many times.

The BT complaints department says they have no expert engineers in this field only those they have already sent us.

Help please from those that may shed some light on the problems.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Fibre to the premises 800Mps all devices connect to BT hub but not all devices get broadband

Sorry to hear this @Thomas67 , must be frustrating. Are you using a Smarthub and if so have you turned of the smart set up? Are the device connections over Wi-Fi or Ethernet and both having the same problem? I assume you don’t have two routers and are suffering a double Nat problem and you’ve checked your firewall settings. I’d probably start, if not already,

1. take a device with an Ethernet port that’s having problems over Wi-Fi and try Ethernet to see if that helps narrow down the problem.

2. You could also test a couple of devices connected directly to the ONT with a ppoe connection to see if that shows the problem too. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Re: Fibre to the premises 800Mps all devices connect to BT hub but not all devices get broadband

As already advised, try turning off Smart Setup, see What is Smart Setup on the BT Hub? How can I turn it on and off? | BT Help for guidance

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Thanks for your interest and advice The problem occurs both with wifi and direct connection to the HUB 2 BT have changed the hub three times and also bought their own hub which has same problem.

I have not yet tried connecting direct to ONT but I think the Open Reach engineer did.

I would like to add further information and observations.

1. This problem was first noticed when we upgraded from 300Mps from to 800Mps April 2021

2.  I asked BT to reduce speed back to 300Mps which they did last week and more devices were able to connect to broadband and those that did now had faster loading of pages than at 800Mps.

3.This week I asked BT to change speed to 100Mps and yes more devices connect and the loading of pages was even faster but still not all devices connect to broadband.

4. This problem can occur when we have visitors connecting to our wifi and if we change router or factory reset then different selection of devices may connect to the broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

Have you tried changing the DNS settings on one of the affected devices? you could try Cloudfare, Google or OpenDNS

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Hi I have tried connecting direct with ethernet cables but still same problem.

I have tried connection to the Open Reach ONT (Nokia) with ethernet cable (I have tried cat6, cat5E and a grey cable left by open reach). I have no connection.

You mention "with ppoe" what is this?

I  have tried a mac book, windows 7 and a cromebook none work connected to ONT. The Windows 7, and Macbook do connect using the router but Cromebook does not.

Any suggestions please

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

You can't connect directly to the ONT by just plugging in a device. You need to create a PPPoE connection. I have no idea how you do that on an Apple device. You create a new dial up connection in Windows.

When you discover how to create the connection, you need to enter the generic username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

As others have mentioned/queried.

Have you turned smart set up off on the hub?

To help you we need to know step by step what you have done. Smart set up is a known problem.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

@licquoricewrote:

Mr Google says

https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-set-up-pppoe-on-a-new-mac/promo-codes.fr 

It is not clear where in Apple to find "PPPoE". I need help

0 Ratings