Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beaselwood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Fibre upgrade, installation help for very elderly person

Go to solution

Hello.  I can't understand why BT have chosen this awful time to force fibre upgrades on people, when vulnerable people don't have access to the help they need.  My Mum is 96 years old, and is completely unable to install the new hub that has been sent to her, let alone reset networks and passwords on her internet radio.  She is totally stressed at trying to contact BT to arrange an engineer.  I live in New Zealand, can't find any way of contacting BT, and now desperately trying to get a flight back to the UK before the deadline of 16 July just so that I can sort this out for her.  It's ridiculous!

Mum shouldn't be having to deal with this at 96 years old!  Can anyone help with suggesting a way to contact BT please, before my head explodes!

Many thanks for any advice.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre upgrade, installation help for very elderly person

Go to solution

@Beaselwood 

Are you an authorised contact on the account?

If not I don't know how far BT will go with speaking to you.

Try Broadband Account Chat 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
NeilO
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Beaselwood, welcome to the community and thanks for posting, we've been upgrading customers who are on our old copper broadband to fibre in order to future proof the network. I appreciate installing and connecting up a new Hub is going to be difficult in your mother's case but don't worry we'll be able to help. I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can send us your Mums details and we'll be happy to get in touch with her. 

Beaselwood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I'm pretty certain I am authorised, because every year I try to renegotiate a better broadband deal for her.  She only uses it for her internet radio and the very occasional email, nothing else, for which she is charged an extortionate monthly rate.

0 Ratings
Beaselwood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks so much Neil - I have private messaged you.  Fingers and toes crossed!

0 Ratings
Beaselwood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Update update!  Neil and everyone, I have just this minute had a message via my brother that BT has arranged to delay Mum's upgrade for 3 months!  This is fantastic news.  So thank you all for your help and input, but it seems the panic is now over until I can be there.

Thank you again everyone.

NeilO
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@Beaselwood, Great thanks for the update, I'm glad it's been sorted.