Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
West
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

FlashPlayer Scam

I am getting this message popping up saying I need to refresh my flash player.

When I google the message I am told it is a scam and it is down to routers being hacked.

The advice I am given is to set the router back to factory defualt. I have a Home Hub 3

I do not believe I have changed anything excpet my password

Is this safe to do and has any one else had this issue

Many Thanks

John

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: FlashPlayer Scam

resetting back to factory settings is perfectly safe just all passwords are back to those that came with hub

not seen any posts like your about flashplayer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

If you have Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer and you have it set to notify you when there are updates you will get a pop up box telling you that it needs to be upgraded. If that is the case then it is safe to click on it and allow it to update.

If you want to check if you have Flash Player installed you need to go to Start > Contol Panel > and you should see Flash Player there. Double click on it and it will bring up the Settings Manager. If you go to the Advance tab you will see the "Change Update Settings". Change it to what suits you.

See link about Adobe Flash Player

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help10.html

EDIT: You should not update Flash Player if a website tells you to or if an email tells you to. Only do it via the above method or by going directly to the Adobe website.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Just got a genuine notification to update this morning.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Adobe Flash Player does need updating regularly - it is known for being buggy, with serious security flaws being found in it regularly.

I have never heard of anybody successfully hacking any Home Hub from outside the user's own network.  The Hubs are very well locked down by BT.

0 Ratings