cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Frequent latency spikes with no apparent packet loss.

Hi,

Looking for some help, I'm experiencing some huge issues with my internet - particularly noticeable whilst gaming FPS or any other game that requires an element of accuracy online.

A few things I have tried so far/notable points:

• This is experienced on both wireless and wired (through powerline adapter)
  • BT sent an engineer to check the line, no issues
  • Download/upload speeds are fine, the latency is the big issue
  • I had a new router from BT, this still didn't solve the issue

Here's a sample of the performance issues I'm seeing from Pingplotter. I also ran a Tracert at the same time which I can post but I wanted to make sure nothing on there is sensitive.

Any assistance greatly appreciated, this has been plaguing me for months.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Frequent latency spikes with no apparent packet loss.

Pingplotter screenshot as it appears to have vanished.

unknown.png

tracert query

tracert.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Any guidance on next steps appreciated please, I spoke with BT earlier this week and they said to remove devices from the Ethernet (via a Wifi range extender) which has made no difference.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Another sample from tonight of issues, notable spikes every 1m10s or so after the big periods of instability.

ping.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I have the exact same issue whenever somebody in my household is doing any kind of video streaming, maybe it could be the same for yourself.

I've tried going for a wired connection, third party router, using QoS but I still have it happening. I played a game of Valorant for 5 minutes and my packet loss was at the 5000 mark by the end of it, totally unplayable.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi, was wondering if you had any luck in solving this issue, as this has started to happen to me for the last couple of weeks starting in late November.

I've tried Port Forwarding, Deleting and reinstalling, and attempted to re-route connection but wasn't allowed to as it required an engineer to be sent out.

Connection worked perfectly up until November time, if anyone else seemed to have started to have issues around then to.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Absolutely no luck so far, will be calling BT tomorrow to follow up on this. I've previously tried a router with QoS and that has made no difference, the problem seems to be with the way that BT processes the data once it leaves the house.

The problem is they only guarantee speeds, they have no mechanism to detect latency spikes in the broadband.

Realistically at this point unless an expert can provide guidance the route out seems to be trying to get a fee-free early exit from the contract so I can use a better provider.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

This is also happening to me.  Up until a few weeks ago the service was rock solid.  Now it appears that packet latency is unstable.  This is causing issues primarily in UDP dependant applications such as gaming or video communication apps.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Latency getting worse day-by-day, BT unable to offer anything except more engineers with the risk of being charged if they can't find a fault. Unable to leave my contract without a termination fee because this is within T&Cs....

Any advice on what else I can do? Will a QOS router realistically make a difference?

mikeuk1_1-1643407041087.png

0 Ratings