Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samph015
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Frequent ping spikes of up to 200ms and insanely slow web browsing

Hi,

For about a week now, it has been extremely tedious to do anything online. Whenever I try to reach a new webpage, it will load for on average 7 seconds until I get the image - sometimes half of the media doesn't even load.

I have searched online for possible solutions and found a tracert command post. Here are my results for pinging google.co.uk:

tracert google.png

I also did a ping test to confirm my suspicion that something was off:

ping test.png

Finally, I also tried pinging google dns server at 8.8.8.8:

dns.png

I have tried restarting my router, turning UPnP off and talking with BT Live chat help (I was told that they could not help me, and then they proceeded to book a call-back from their manager that I never got in the end).

This issue makes it incredibly hard for me to communicate on online services like discord and also for online gaming, where ping jitters ever second are painful and make me sick...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
samph015
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Frequent ping spikes of up to 200ms and insanely slow web browsing

bump
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Welcome to this user forum.

Have you checked the phone line to see if there is any noise on the line?

Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
samph015
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Hi Keith,
Trying to dial this number from my bt mobile gives me the announcement that calls to that number are not being connected. If you meant call from a landline, I don't have one, just a BT Infinity smarthub.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

It sounds like you have a fault on your line.

You need to test with a phone.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

0 Ratings
samph015
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Will try this and get back to you, thanks.
0 Ratings