cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Full Fibre 900 Nokia ONT and 2.5/10Gbe LAN

Hi all,

I have just migrated to BT FTTP 900/100 service and it works brilliantly.

I’m considering upgrading my home network to a 2.5/10GBe network and was wondering does the Ethernet port on the Nokia ONT support 2.5/10Gbe networking?

I know that the 900 service would not saturate such a home network but if I’m channeling out walls and running cat6 or fibre in my home I want to future proof it as much as possible.

There are 3rd party routers available that support 2.5/10Gbe PPOE connections and was wondering if anyone has used one or could recommend one?

I store a lot of large video and audio files on a prosumer QNAP NAS which supports 2.5/5/10Gbe so the idea is to reduce any bottleneck from the ONT to that device using a compatible router and then use either fibre or cat6/7 to distribute high speed LAN across my home whilst also making wifi 6 available.

I was considering the QNAP QHora-301W to replace the BT Hub supplied with FTTP.

As this router can support a direct PPOE connection I was wondering if the Nokia ONT supports 2.5/5/10Gbe 

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice , I’m new to GB+ networking so any advice would be great.

Lou

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Full Fibre 900 Nokia ONT and 2.5/10Gbe LAN

The speed of the Ethernet port on the ONT is irrelevant in the context of your LAN. The ONT is not in your home network LAN it is in the WAN.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Future proofing is all well and good but presently buying a router that supports 2.5/10Gb is wasted money for the price. Best to wait until the faster speed is availabe and then buy the router as it will cost less (anecdotally).

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Hi There,

I don’t think I explained my idea very well. 🤦‍

what I was wondering is if the RJ45 port on the ONT is just a standard 1gb port or if it supported higher speeds such a 2.5/5/10gb

ie: what the hardware capabilities of that port actually are.

I know my local transfer speed would clearly benefit from a higher speed lan infrastructure but was just asking if for example BT were to offer 10GB/sec services they would need to install a new ONT or if the exsisting one is already capable of servicing such speeds.

Many thanks for your reply. 👍

lou

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hiya,

Yep I understand that , but I am in need of a faster LAN due to my large files that I produce , so am trying to create a LAN that while being faster internally now , would also cope with faster WAN speeds in the future.

For example if I still had my old 10baseT network from the 90s in my home it would cripple my now super fast 900/100 FTTP connection.

Bit like having a Ferrari with a speed limiter and a black nanny box 🤣

Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

Lou 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

It's a bit of a non question really. You clearly require a fast LAN so as I said previously, the current or future capability of the ONT is irrelevant. I'm not sure whether a change of ONT would be required to cope with 2.5 or 10 GbE or not,  but either way it has no impact on what you do to future proof your LAN.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

The reason I wanted to make sure the ONT could cope with faster speeds is because I have to download large files from a remote server so would use a faster connection if available hence the need to determine if the ONT could cope with faster speeds from the WAN into my LAN , 👍

Thanks,

lou

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

The speed of the interface is irrelevant, you have a 900M broadband speed which is currently the fastest available.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

If ISP's start selling a FTTP service that is faster than the ONT can handle, they will need to provide a more suitable ONT.

So by all means upgrade your LAN; If/when higher FTTP speeds become available you will be able to purchase them, with a new ONT if needed.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 10 of 10

I really want to be able to get Nokia 10Gb along with a https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-axe300/ when its released ,it should future proof me 🙂

0 Ratings