cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m0ssim0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Full Fibre 900, Smart Hub 2 and Google Wifi

I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the following query, I have seen some conflicting information which is making me scratch my head. Installation of Full Fibre 900 (FTTP) is earmarked for June, depending when Openreach Engineers start home visits. I understand that BT will send me a Smart Hub 2. I currently use Google Wifi in my house to eliminate any dead spots and I wish to continue using this. I believe, that Google Wifi isn't compatible with the Smart Hub 2 (something to do with VLAN tagging???). I have also read that the ONT incorporates a modem. My query is, do I actually have to use the Smart Hub 2? Can i not just plug the Google Wifi (router) into the ONT? 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
brookheather
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Full Fibre 900, Smart Hub 2 and Google Wifi

You don't need to use the SH2 - you can use any router with FTTP however the Google router may not be fast enough for 900Mbps download so you may want to downgrade to Fibre 500.

0 Ratings
m0ssim0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the response. Looking at the Google Wifi specs apparently it has an Ethernet port which can run at 1 gigabit per second so I'm presuming it's got the capability to cope with Full Fibre 900, but as my knowledge with networking is limited I'm happy to be correct. 

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 4 of 4

A common misconception - having a gigabit Ethernet port doesn't mean that the router chipset is able to process PPPoE connections at gigabit speeds - each packet needs to be inspected and checked against firewall rules, routed to the correct destination etc. - this requires cpu power and many of these routers aren't powerful enough for gigabit PPPoE connections.

0 Ratings