Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 35

Full Fibre 900 WiFi speeds

Good evening 

Quick question, I have the full fibre 900 package and using a wired connection get pretty much the full 900mb download and 50 upload (50 upload seems capped but it looks like from another thread this is being looked at). 

Now my issue lies with WiFi speeds, running a speed test stood right next to my BT hub on my iPhone 11 pro i get around 300mb? now i know WiFi speeds are never going to achieve the same speeds as that of a wired connection but since i was previously on the 330/50 package and getting the same speeds on WiFi devices it seems like there  are no benefits in upgrading unless everything you use is ran on a wired connection. 

Can anyone else whom is on the full fibre 900 confirm what kind of speeds they're getting from the BT hub as surely if they can sell a 900mb package they'd expect to achieve something near this over WiFi. 

Thanks  

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 35

Re: Full Fibre 900 WiFi speeds

What you get over wifi depends on the capability of the phone/laptop/tablet etc you are using.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 35

I’m having similar problem. Using an iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPad Pro 11inch, but are only getting around the 250 mark, and 10cm from hub.

The additional problem I have is that even on hard wire to hub I’m not getting anywhere near the 900.

Hub is saying its getting circa 800, but just speeds from hub to my devices are poor.

Beginning to wonder if this is an issue with Hub?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 35

Spoiler
Its a problem with bt same issues with most people who changed over to Bt fibre 900
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 35

The issue lies with the real world speed of the Wi-Fi technology. The speed that's normally listed is often the maximum theoretical speed which is way quicker than what you realistically get.

According to speedguide.net, the typical real world speed range of 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5) is around 70 - 200+ Mbps which is no where close to the theoretical maximum of 1300+Mbps or your 900Mbps FTTP line. To get the full 900mbps you will need CAT5e or better Ethernet cables going to a device that supports gigabit speeds or better, Wi-Fi isn't going to cut it.

Source:

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 35

I’ve just switched to Full Fibre 500 (not 900 as I was sceptical that Wi-fi speeds would be able to exceed 500). 

I have Complete Wi-fi and a Smarthub 2. In most of my house I get speeds of about 180 mbps. 

This is faster than my old package but a little underwhelming. Even right next to the Hub I only get 200mbps on Wi-Fi. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 35

That article is 6 years old.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 35

The article is 6 years old but most devices have  802.11ac or 802.11n Wi-Fi chips which this article covers. The Smart Hub 2 maxs out at the 802.11ac standard which is covered by the article.

There has been a new standard made since then (802.11ax) though it's rare to see in mid - low end routers, therefore the article's real world speed calculations in my experience are accurate. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 35

Thanks. It's a bit disappointing that a 6-year old article is still relevant!

So the Smart Hub's Wifi should max out at 200mbps? That is certainly consistent with my experience but other posters here have claimed much faster wifi speeds.

So BT is now selling much faster internet connections than its router's wifi can handle?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 35

The Smart Hub's WiFi's speed should max out at around 200mbps+ if it's using 802.11ac Wave 1, though it maybe using a slightly updated version of the 802.11ac standard (802.11ac Wave 2) however, this information isn't on BT's website. If it is using Wave 2 it should be able to hit at least 300mbps range.

Also note that the WiFi speed from your router may be as fast as your slowest WiFi device.

BT technically isn't selling selling a package that their router can't handle since the Ethernet ports support gigabit speeds (1000mbps) so to take advantage of the speed they're selling you, you have to wire up your computers.

0 Ratings