Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 161

Re: Full Fibre 900 WiFi speeds

Go to solution

Well after all the excitement of today's 900 go-live...11th May, I have determined initially that the Smart Hub 2 is really rubbish, even after I saw the firmware update at around 11am.... My HH1 was better on 330/50 service ! (I only started using the SH2 yesterday before 900 was enabled)

I did power down both ONT and SH2 for 10 mins and waited a couple of hours to stabilise...

Even right near device (and also tested about 2m away right in front) when the connected speed was 866mbps 'physically' but speedtest.net speeds were all over the park (upload is consistently 115-120 on all devices however)

Wireless Download:
1. Galaxy Note 10+ 5G - (AX WiFi 6) Best 510mbps, mostly hitting 200-320 (so worse really than my consistent HH1 on my 330/50 service which was solid at 290-300 every single time) - Appreciate SH2 isn't AX and 866 is totally theoretical but still it was up and down like a yoyo
2. HP Laptop:  Best 130mbps - before used to be 290-300 every time (Intel AC8260 card on HH1 - old service))
3. DELL XPS 15 7590 - (AX1650 Killer Card) - Just rubbish Best 200mbps (HH1 always 290-310 on old service)

So I have ordered the ASUS RT-AX88U and will report back - All other devices have AX cards already, except HP Laptop, so ordered AX200 card off Amazon

Let's see what that give us - I am simply hoping the SH2 is the problem, as others have reported

Wired Download:
1. HP Laptop HP 820 G3 with GbE - Best 110mbps - Utter and complete pants (with Cat 5e Cable)

Gave up, not even trying other devices wired....

I did not try direct wired PPPoE link as I couldn't be bothered just yet.... I did the MyBT speedtest and it said it is running at full 900/110 up to Router.... - I lost the will to verify for now

More after extra gizmo's added

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else
0 Ratings
Player10
Beginner
Message 22 of 161

Go to solution

@jedpause 

In exactly the same boat mate. My Full Fibre 900 was activated on the same day.

It is definitely a problem with the Smart Hub 2 either hardware or firmware wise as my Home Hub 6 had faster Wifi speeds on my slower 330 package.

However, a wired connection to my laptop gives me a solid 1 GBps connection which is impressive.

It's just the Wifi which is shockingly bad on the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Catune
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 161

Go to solution

@ThinkPadUser Thanks for the update. Non of my devices can show the Wi-Fi frequency band however they show the network speed. Though, the speed it shows is way higher than what Speedtest or even  Ofcom Checker gives. 

I'll consider getting a third party router as you suggested but that will be much later. At the moment, I switched off the 2.4 GHz band on the SH2 and then connected my old Netgear N300 router (which is a 2.4 GHz single band router) to one of the SH2 ports. The Wi-Fi speed from the Netgear is quiet lower compared to the SH2. My question now is will a third party dual router be able to give the same or even better speed than the SH2. I believe connecting the third party router to a SH2 port will work well or do I need to remove the SH2 completely and use the third party router instead.

@jedpause and @Player10 for confirming this.

0 Ratings
busterboy1
Expert
Message 24 of 161

Go to solution

Great thread and very informative thanks guy's.

Watching with interest for sure.

Fingers crossed come early June when Openreach hopefully returns to installations inside the home I will be taking the 900 package.

Got an Asus RT-AX88U new in a box here waiting to be setup.

Added the Killer 1650AX WiFi cards to both my Laptops.

Waiting in anticipation to see how it pans out.🤔

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 161

Go to solution

Update from my earlier post...

Installed an Asus AX88U router and all is well

800+ on my Wifi6 Note 10, and 6-700 on a laptop wifi so far, using fast.com and speedtest.net (XILO is fastest for me)

Haven't tried PPPoE yet , but I'm OK with the speeds and the range is doubled, I get 400+ in my back garden fence

Wifi does connect at 960mbps to 1Gbps at device level... so not as high as ASUS say, but that's probably due to external factors..

On laptops, disabling packet coalescing under advanced WiFi card settings made a huge boost in speed fyi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
busterboy1
Expert
Message 26 of 161

Go to solution
That's brilliant. Thank you. 🙂
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 161

Go to solution

Very interesting. I guess a Wi-Fi 6 SmartHub 3 will be out soon-ish. Any rumours?

I’ve been happy with the BT hardware until this point so I’m happy to wait until the next gen Hub is released. 

0 Ratings
Drscoity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 161

Go to solution

That’s great speed on the WiFi 6 devices. I guess older devices are still getting up to 300mbs?

0 Ratings
Catune
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 161

Go to solution

I believe the Asus AX88U router allows you to have 2 SSIDs. Did you connect the router directly to the wall or to a port in the SH2? Also, what's so special with this particular router compared to other routers of similar grade. I see a lot of people here mentioned this particular router.

0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 161

Go to solution

You can have separate SSIDs, I chose a single one for a few reasons...

And I put is straight into the ONT modem, no SH2 anymore...

I was going to get the dual AX92U but opted for this after reading some reliable website tests... and it means less clutter, we get almost the same speed in the whole house with one router and properly positioned antennae..

I also like the USB Samba disk share and other features, so good

0 Ratings