Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
busterboy1
Expert
Message 51 of 161

Re: Full Fibre 900 WiFi speeds

Go to solution

@ihassan1 

You will  not achieve those speeds on 2.4 buddy.

5ghz if you want to get anywhere near those speeds via WiFi.

@law94air 

I also have the RT-AX88U and wanting a decent setup other than standard.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
ihassan1
Contributor
Message 52 of 161

Go to solution

Hi @busterboy1 

Thank for reply, what speeds are reasonable on 2.4ghz on a 80mbps DL on BT (thats what am paying for), on ethernet i get close like 76mbps DL and alway 18mbps UL!

On wifi I like 25-30mbps DL thats like a 60% drop even when am like a cm away from BT SH2.

Ive had like 6/7 BT openreach engineers, Qube and Halo Engineers in last few weeks.

Can't split the 2.4 and 5ghz on BT SH2 either, thats a pain due to their whole home mesh crappy system!

Also when it comes to wifi BT dont want to know! awful

They advertise all these and guarantees but its all worthless tbh

What would you suggest?....

0 Ratings
law94air
Beginner
Message 53 of 161

Go to solution

I bought the Asus RT AX 88U and didn't even bother with the SH2.  I split the bands and on 5G set to 160mhz AX mode I get 760Mpbs on my pc with a wireless WiFi 6 AX200 card and on my Samsung S10 I get 450Mpbs and on my ethernet connection I egt 1GBPS.  

@jedpause managed to get 800 plus on his phone and was interested to know what he did on the router settings to achieve that. 

I should also say that transferring blu Ray rips over WiFi to my Nas in the garage I get transfer speeds of 100MBps 

0 Ratings
ihassan1
Contributor
Message 54 of 161

Go to solution

Am on 80mbps DL and 20mbps UL - I pay BT for

Hardware i get close to 76mbps DL and Awlays 18mpbs UL (thats never changes the UL) lol

On 2.4ghz whats reasonable to get on the above?

We have Samsung S10, S20, and other latest devices, laptops.

Ive even tested it with just 1 connection a smartphone or laptop or Apple Mac, same still get like 25-30mbps DL?

Surely that cant be right?

Ive changed wireless channels same! 

Losing the will here its awful, ive literally tired everything I can think of.

On phone to BT thats 60th call last few weeks the person the BT cust service said youve got soo may times!!! Duhhhh

I hate calling BT tbh, they dnt help at all

0 Ratings
law94air
Beginner
Message 55 of 161

Go to solution

It all depends on what server you are connecting to when using the speed test.  Do a real world test and download macos file from apple and see what speeds you are getting.  But on a 70meg connection 30 to 40 Meg wireless download seems about right.  All depends on your signal strength and channel bandwidth on the 2.4ghz... Get fibre if you can afford it with an AX router... You won't regret it! 

0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 56 of 161

Go to solution

Hi @ihassan1 yes deffo 5GHz....

I will share my settings when I get the energy to do all the screen grabs 😂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else
busterboy1
Expert
Message 57 of 161

Go to solution

@jedpause 

I also look forward to that. Will help a lot of users.

Thank you. 🙂

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 58 of 161

Go to solution

Hi folks, I have not posted all the settings, those are generally default of have had not +/- bearing on my setup..

But I disabled QoS (Even on previous ASUS Routers as it resulted in appalling performance...) Nothing really special to be honest, No Game settings added/changed (my Son plays, I don't - he get's great speeds upstairs with low latency)...

To repeat, this is direct, no Smart Hub 2... and my speeds were with WiFi 6/AX devices. On AC clients, Apple etc. it was still much better - 700 MB/s plus average

Get your antennae setup properly too - Google best position, but I have them both pointing at devices (like a wand) and perpendicular (2 pointed/2 perpendicular) and whole house gets great speed and 500+ at back of the garden (LoS)

Ensure 160Mhz enabledEnsure 160Mhz enabledThis made the bigger jump on my devicesThis made the bigger jump on my devicesPretty Standard stuffPretty Standard stuff

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else
busterboy1
Expert
Message 59 of 161

Go to solution

Little tweaks I have already learned. 🙂

Log in to Windows Command Prompt as administrator and type the following system32>netsh wlan show drivers   Enter to see your network types....

Here are mine.

CMD Show drivers.jpg

Find your network adaptor and disable "Packet Coalescing" as shown here on my PC.

packet coalescing.jpg

Below Packet Coalescing on the same page set 5Ghz as your preferred band then you know you are using the fastest.

preferred band.jpg

Not much but it might help those wanting the best out of your 910mbps package. 🙂

0 Ratings
law94air
Beginner
Message 60 of 161

Go to solution

Thanks @jedpause   Tried your settings and got 560Mpbs so reverted back to my ones and was on 720Mpbs ...I suppose it all goes to show that the environment has a lot to do with the speed as well - walls and floors etc.  

0 Ratings