Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidsheddan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 81 of 161

Re: Full Fibre 900 WiFi speeds

Go to solution

This is a firmware bug, turn off ont and SH - but honestly junk the SH it’s utter **bleep**e

0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 82 of 161

Go to solution

Hi again... can you advise what you are using to test your speed? Speedtest.net or fast.com?

If speedtest, it may also be your server that it defaults to is not optimal... I have used XILO in Maidenhead for years and found it to either fastest and most consistent...

Some days I test and get 50/50 maps when it has a wobble, but after a while I get 600 to 800 consistently test after test, always fasted on phone, Galaxy note 10 and now note 20 which have AX chips

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else
0 Ratings
Catune
Aspiring Contributor
Message 83 of 161

Go to solution

@davidsheddan On a phone? I'm not sure what that means however, I have full fibre to the property and currently gets around 145 Mbps wired.

I tried both bands and the 2.4 GHz band is nothing to write home about. So, the 60+ Mbps was for 5 GHz band.

I live in a detached house.

The router is isolated in a store just at the entrance of the house. However, I stood right in front of the router with the store door open to test the wifi speed

0 Ratings
Catune
Aspiring Contributor
Message 84 of 161

Go to solution
See my earlier reply to you @davidsheddan.
The setup was without the SH2
0 Ratings
Catune
Aspiring Contributor
Message 85 of 161

Go to solution
@jedpause Speedtest.net mate.
0 Ratings
ccerr39783
Aspiring Contributor
Message 86 of 161

Go to solution

I have an Asus RT-AC3200 and was also getting only about 400 on my BT 900 package. So after trying loads of things and reading pretty much everything I decided to change my MTU settings from 1492 to 1500 and seen my speed go from 400 to 800 so I am not sure if this will work for others, but it is worth giving it a go as it definitely helped my speed out.

0 Ratings
busterboy1
Expert
Message 87 of 161

Go to solution

@ccerr39783 

Interesting to learn that changing the MTU improves the performance mate.

After weeks of reading about "fixes" for the 910 / 110 package its the first time I've read about the MTU increasing the speed.

Another good tip for users to try.

Thanks for posting that buddy. 🙂

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 88 of 161

Go to solution

Hi there, 1500 may help for speedtest tests, however in the real world over WiFi and ethernet, you may find fragmentation will impact performance negatively,  that's why the default of 1492

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
ccerr39783
Aspiring Contributor
Message 89 of 161

Go to solution

I think you will find that depending on what site you look at that there a lot of differing opinions on what the MTU speed should be.  I changed the MTU after it was recommended by a tier 4 support at Asus stating that the higher speed broadband warranted the change. I have now had it set this way and have not noticed and lost packets, but I shall keep an eye on it. I definitely noticed if It back to 1492 I lose all benefits of upgrading my line to the 900/100 I would agree that a change to the MRU does negatively affect line quality. But as no one else seems to have a solid solution as to by the horrible B/T router can deliver 900 down without any trouble yet my Asus router cannot I am afraid I am forced to experiment with different settings. 

0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 90 of 161

Go to solution

The *88U won't even allow 1500 MTU to be added, forces 1492 max

0 Ratings