cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Full fibre router location

Spoiler
Hi, we had full fibre installed a week or so abo and the openreach engineer didn’t install it in the room I wanted. This is meaning I’m getting nowhere near the 900mb I’m paying, getting around 40mb or so. We had a bt engineer round on Friday and he told me that the router can be put away from the incoming fibre socket by using mini connectors. This doesn’t seem to be working at all, router shows as not connected.

any ideas 
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Full fibre router location

I assume when you say you were not getting the speed you had 900mb to hub but only 40mb at your wireless device?

Do you have the fibre modem ONT connected to mini connector and the other paired connector connected to WAN port on hub?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

If your router is connected to the ONT by a short Ethernet cable , and its position is somewhere that limits WiFi reception around the house, then you probably could get the ONT moved , but this is unlikely to be done for free, and if it’s a new build , the ‘internal’ cable from the external CSP to the ONT may be effectively fixed in place  ( behind stud walls ), so a new cable would need to be surface wired from outside to in, it will almost certainly prove to be easier and cheaper to provide some sort of connection between where the ONT  currently is , and where the router may perform better …mini connectors  ( presumably power line type extenders ) can and do work , but are unlikely to give the same performance as a wired connection, if you have them cannot get any connection then they are probably wired incorrectly or broken, but if you primarily use WiFi then you are unlikely to get anywhere near 900Mb anyway.

You could try as a temporary measure a long Ethernet cable and relocate the router on the end of that, and if the improvement is worthwhile, permanently wire an Ethernet socket  from where the ONT is to this new location.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Hi, it’s not a new build and the fibre was only installed a couple of weeks ago. It would seem the openreach folks have installed it where they wanted for an easy life rather than where I wanted it. It’s a detached house so the cable can be run anywhere really. Stood next to the modem I’m getting about 400-500mb but away from it’s around the 50mb mark. I’ve been told I can connect a mini connector to the ont to then have the modem elsewhere but that does not work. If it did, happy days but the modem doesn’t recognise there being a data connection despite the mini connectors showing data according to the light on them. The cable is surface mounted so that shouldn’t be an issue really

hooe that gives a bit more info @iniltous @imjolly 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

TBH, power-line type adapters should work , there is nothing special about the cable between the ONT and WAN port on the router , so plugging the ONT into one power line unit and in another room plugging the router WAN port into the other power-line unit should work, the only possible issue ( apart from the power line units being faulty )  is if the two electrical sockets are on different circuits.
Presumably whoever installed the FTTP was let into the premises, and ‘agreed’ with whoever gave access to where the ONT was placed.

After the event it may be difficult to argue that the installer put the ONT in a place you didn’t agree to , obviously you could try asking for it to be moved.

If your service was installed by a contractor working on behalf of OR, as they are paid only on jobs completed  they are not likely to voluntarily do ‘extra’ cabling work as that takes time, if it were OR ‘direct labour’ , it makes little difference if the install takes longer due to extra cabling .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Yeah I know what you mean. I was at work when it was installed but I spoke to him before he started. He suggested it wasn’t possible to take it where I wanted it he couldn’t go past my front door. I couldn’t visualise this at the time as we’d only had the house 2 weeks but on returning home it was quite easy to do so not sure why they didn’t want to. It’s been installed next to the nearest plug socket to where the fibre reaches the house which would suggest it’s been done for a quick finish/easy life. I’ll be asking them to fix it. I may try moving the hub again as I’ve got 2 pairs of connectors which are brand new (supplied by BT) and I have devices working on them but the modem didn’t want to work for some reason 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Did you factory reset them before changing their use?

You can only use one pair of connectors.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi, I’ve not no. When you say factory reset are you meaning to change the one I have currently as the, let’s say, inlet to the circuit to being one that transmits to the modem and is hard wired to the ont? Now sure how to do this @licquorice 

Also, you say I’m not about to use more than 1 pair? I was expecting that additional outlet points could be added?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

You can only have one 'master' and multiple 'slaves'. You can't have 2 sets of connections. You can't connect the ONT to the hub wan port at the same time as connecting a hub LAN port to a PC. 

The instruction leaflet should tell you how to factory reset the connectors.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Ah ok I’m with you. So in theory I’ve to use multiple and keep the modem with the ont or move the modem away from the ont and rely on Wi-Fi…cheers @licquorice 

0 Ratings