Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
gavmayo
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Game lagging and getting booted from servers

Hi All,

I've got a problem with my FTTC broadband. I've basically been with BT ever since FTTC arrived and never really had a problem until ~6 months ago. I can no longer play a PC game online for more than a few minutes before it starts to lag and I get booted from the server. I've had a BT engineer visit twice now and on the last occasion (today) they disabled my FW on the HH6 and it seemed to improve the situation (this was mid-morning though I I don't usually play games mid-day). Besides the HH FW they can't see any other issues (besides seeing the game disconnect and acknowledge something isn't right). Well I've tried to play a game tonight and the problem hasn't been resolved. Lag and then the dreaded disconnect. The only way I can play games at the moment is via the hot-spot from my mobile phone which works fine - which is ridiculous. 

I'm at my wits end. BT are saying there isn't a problem even though they say there is. 

Anyone got any suggestions on where I go from here as the connection has been fine for years until recently?

Mods are you able to help me? 😞

Cheers Gav. 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Game lagging and getting booted from servers

@gavmayo 

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
gavmayo
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Yeah that's fine. Both the BT engineers who visited couldn't see any issues with the line, yet the games still dropped. Glad I was able to show them the 4g hot spot worked fine else they'd blame the PC.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

@gavmayo wrote:
Yeah that's fine. Both the BT engineers who visited couldn't see any issues with the line, yet the games still dropped. Glad I was able to show them the 4g hot spot worked fine else they'd blame the PC.

Did you check for noise at the point you were disconnected, as it may be intermittent?

Which BT home hub are you using, and are you connected to your PC using a direct Ethernet cable from the home hub?

0 Ratings
gavmayo
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Not checked when the disconnect happens. Makes no difference if using WiFi or an Ethernet cable plugged directly into hub. BT replaced the old hub (hh2) last week with the smart hub (hh6?) to see if that resolved the problem - which it didn't....

Thanks for all the suggestions though...

0 Ratings
gavmayo
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Hi All,

I'm still having issues and still can't play any online games, although I did some testing with a free (limited bandwidth) VPN and I was able to play some games without getting kicked. As soon as I turn the VPN off I can't play any games again.

Any suggestions? This is getting silly and I'm fed up with engineers visiting my house and saying there's nothing wrong although they can see there is!!!!

HELP 😞

Cheers

Gav

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Is this one particular game or just any game online?

0 Ratings
gavmayo
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

HI

All PC games including the PS4.

Cheers Gav

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

If say you are downloading a game or update on the PS4 or pc do you get booted?

are you using a VPN?

if you stream a movie does it drop?

0 Ratings
gavmayo
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

Hi

Downloading movies is fine but also sometimes it stalls. 

VPNs do allow me to play games on the PC, as does using my mobile as a Wi-fi hotspot. 

Gav

0 Ratings