cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Game lagging and getting booted from servers

I’ve not got the home hub but are you using IPv6? I can’t see any harm in trying IPv4  If you are using IPv6. 
Try turning every device off apart from PS4 and then try too, not standby but off completely apart from PS4.

0 Ratings
gavmayo
Beginner
Message 12 of 19

Hi

IPv6 has been disabled but hasn't had any effect. I've attached some pingplotter output and used one of EA European gaming servers IP address for the test. 

I can see I'm getting a few packet losses. 

Thanks in advance.

GavPL.jpgEA IP Address

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 13 of 19

End results look ok though, it’s not unusual to see a hop with issues. 

did you try gaming with just the PS4  and nothing else connected to your WiFi ?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

could be a case where the games are using peer to peer and not dedicated servers, meaning that everyone's consoles/pcs in the online game or lobby work together meaning that if someones connection is bad then the game crashes

0 Ratings
gavmayo
Beginner
Message 15 of 19

Hi,

My PS4 is connected directly to the HH via an ethernet cable. I've not tried it via Wifi. I'll try turning off the PS4 completely though to see if that has any effect.

I've been with BT for years and this problem didn't exist until recently - well I've not played anything online for 9-12 months or so but it was fine for years.

It's so frustrating. I don't see why I should use a VPN or my phone's hot spot to play games. Surely BT can run something like Wireshark/tcpdump/snoop etc to monitor the tcp/udp packets. Being in IT (unix) for 30 years I know it can be sometimes tricky to track down obscure issue but come on...

Anyway thanks for all the advice and help.

Gav
0 Ratings
gavmayo
Beginner
Message 16 of 19

Never (or very rarely) get booted from the games when I use a VPN/Mobile hotspot. Get booted EVERY time when using BT without VPN etc.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 17 of 19

Sounds like it’s ip kind of related which is strange as you can game fine on VPN but some games don’t like VPN connections and normally they don’t offer the same quality connections.

do you have a static address by any chance?

0 Ratings
gavmayo
Beginner
Message 18 of 19

Hi Stu,
Gaming via VPN's certainly aren't ideal and there is some lag but at least it's just about doable and I'm not getting booted. Nope, don't have a static IP.

Gav
0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Long shot, how about changing DNS to say cloudflare  or google just to see what happens.

What’s your connection up and down?

Are you able to run PingPlotter in the background and record the event?

When you test your connection on the PS4 wat does it say about the NAT?

When you run Pingplotter use a local site not a gaming site. They can be a bit unreliable.

0 Ratings