cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Gaming 2 consoles

Hi

I currently have 2 playstation 5's being used at my address.

I have been advised to assign static ip's to both consoles and open ports but this cant be done on both consoles I'm guessing. 

Is there anything I can do to resolve this as gaming is near enough impossible when we're both online and usually trying to play the same game.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Gaming 2 consoles

You clearly can't open the same ports on 2 different devices at the same time. You can give the devices different IP addresses and forward different ports to each, but if you both need the same ports it cannot be done.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Yeah as I thought.

Would it help assigning both devices a static ip and just forwarding the ports to one console? Or would I still have problems on both consoles?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

If both consoles require the same ports you are always going to have problems. Think of ports in terms of phone numbers, you can't have 2 phones with the same number and expect calls to go to the right phone.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

OK, thanks for the answer.

So just to clarify,  even the console with the port forwarding set up would still have problems? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I'm not a gamer so  speaking from networking principles rather than experience.

From a theoretical perspective, if 2 devices are receiving incoming connections on the same port at the same time regardless of whether those connections are fixed via port forwarding or dynamic via UPnP, there will be problems.

0 Ratings