cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Gaming - Network Stability / sporadic high ping / packet loss

Hey guys and girls.

I have been having issues with my broadband for quite some time now.

I've only had it a few months  ( was perfect the first few weeks )

I'm currently on the fibre 2 plan

61-73mb

Apaprently it says 57 going to the hub  but from multiple speed test sites they can range from 30mb to  54mb

I have had a  bt engineer come out to check the line (  they mentioned everything is fine up to the router) .

I received a new super hub 2 in the hope that it would fix the issue but it has not.

I primarily use the Internet for gaming only and am usually the only person on (  mother uses Netflix from time to time  ) 

I have attempted to trouble shoot with changing Ethernet cables / changing DNS settings for console / port forwarding ect  which has not helped at all.

Playing games feels sluggish with packet loss symbols coming up  every 20-30  seconds

I attempted to do ping tests  from my laptop using the website.

Most seem to be between 27ms but periodically  then can jump up from 200-1000ms 

Please help! This is the sole reason I have Internet to game... and I try for an hour or so and just get frustrated with the performance and end up coming off.

Many thanks 

Craig Thomas

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Gaming - Network Stability / sporadic high ping / packet loss

Hi .. I have the same package and I am having the same issues one minute I'm running about 15ms ping then shooting to 400 + MS ping I have tried most of the obvious tests etc. this isn't down to my pc or house cables as I have had no problems until recently. Please can you advise on how to get this looked at 

Thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

is this modern warfare by any chance 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 8

Hello @Craigo110,

I'm on BT Fibre 2 myself and haven't experience problems only 1 I think, I'm playing top AAA titles and no lag only want sh*t ton of devices is connected too my SmartHub 2.

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Modern warfare, Battlefield 5, hell let loose, Discord. etc etc etc .. oh and for the record, I tried on 2 different gaming rigs both are hardwired. fully updated with minimal processes running so I am 110% positive this isn't my end.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 8

Hello @EntraVenuS,

@EntraVenuSwrote:
Modern warfare, Battlefield 5, hell let loose, Discord. etc etc etc .. oh and for the record, I tried on 2 different gaming rigs both are hardwired. fully updated with minimal processes running so I am 110% positive this isn't my end.

There is nothing wrong with BT's end either, I'm running all of these devices and all of them can keep up:

Sky Q 1TB Main box (CAT 5, Ethernet. PORT 1 on the BTSH2)

Sky Q Minibox (WiFi)

ASUS Laptop (WiFi)

Toshiba Smart TV (CAT5e on PORT 3 on the Network Switch)

HITACHI Living Room TV (WiFi) 

Netgear Ethernet Gigabit Switch on PORT 2 with a CAT5e on BTSH2

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G (WiFi)

2 Sony Android smartphones (both on WiFi)

My brother's PlayStation 4 (CAT5e, Ethernet on PORT 1 on the Netgear Ethernet Gigabit Switch)

My Gaming PC (CAT5e, Ethernet on PORT 2 on the Netgear Ethernet Gigabit Switch)

My 2nd brother's Gaming PC (WiFi, will be changing to CAT5e Ethernet gaming in Feb 2021)

iPhone 6s (WiFi)

If you feel that your internet connection is playing up, have you tried a Quiet-line Test call 17070 from the house phone choose Option 2 it should be completely silent.

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

heres a test and im about 100 miles from the pingtest area

https://www.netmeter.co.uk/ping-test/202047-54664-be84.html

and here's the test when the connection  settles down 

https://www.netmeter.co.uk/ping-test/202047-55386-d2a4.html

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 8

Hello again @EntraVenuS,

Well BT are busy up to their poor neck with important stuff, have you done that Quiet-line Test yet?

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Ratings