Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJGriffin
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Gaming & watching a streaming platform issue

Hello,

I have been having the same issues that others have been having where gaming becomes really laggy/high ping whilst watching a streaming platform such as Netflix or Twitch.

I have tried talking to someone through the online chat service but gotten nowhere with it.

Would a Mod be able to help me with this as i'm currently looking at switching ISP.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Danharris93
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: Gaming & watching a streaming platform issue

Do you know what mbps you get at your address
0 Ratings
MJGriffin
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Minimum of 70mbps download

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi @MJGriffin,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. I'm sorry you've been experiencing problems with your connection. In terms of latency there and be a number of different causes. To try and get a better understanding of what's causing the Latency to spike, please can you run a couple of ping plotters. One when your gaming on its own and another gaming while streaming?

Once you've done that, please post back and I'll take a look at the results.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
MJGriffin
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

pingwithgame.pngThis is just gaming on it's own. Steady pingpingwithgameandstream.pngThis is gaming with a stream open. Ping spikes

@PaddyB 

As you can see, once I start watching a stream, I get ping spikes.

This is on a wired connection

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi @MJGriffin thanks for posting back those results. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we will be happy to look at improving your connection.

Cheers
John 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi @MJGriffin,

Thank you for sending in your details. I'm sorry you've been experiencing issues with your connection. I gave both your home and mobile number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today.

I've run a few checks on your connection and overall the physical connection looks good. There is no fault showing on the network side of things. Your connection has been stable for the last 14 days with no dropouts reported during that time. 

Looking at those ping plotters you posted. I would be concerned by the delay and packet loss showing on Hop 1. Hop 1 would be the connection from your device to the router. There should be no packet loss and very little delay. The test I have run also shows that there is a lot of errors on the upstream side of your connection. 

Both the packet loss and error on the upstream would indicate that there is potential interference affecting your connection. This could be wireless interference if connecting wirelessly or even electrical interference. 

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Reckless11
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

@PaddyB 

Loads of Routers show Packet loss at Hop 1, that's because they have a very low priority set when responding to pings.

That's why all BT users will see packet loss also at their 3rd/4th hops, because that BT router too has low priority to pings.

As long as the Packet Loss is not carried through to the final destination, then the opening poster here has no issues when it comes to Packet Loss.

This Ping issue is nothing new, and not one that BT have any idea how to cure.

Personally, I think it's a result of BT putting customers onto VDSL/FTTC packages when their own network isn't in place to handle it properly.

0 Ratings