cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan_Arsenal90
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Garage Installation Help

I'm moving down to a property soon which has a line in place that goes into the lounge. I'm looking at renovating the garage which is at the front of anywhere so a good 15-20m away from where the line enters the property currently. 

I'm curious if it's possible to get a second line (or divert the line in place) to run off into this garage as I'm sceptical that the hub in the lounge will provide an adequate speed in the garage. 

Any info or advice would be great! 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Garage Installation Help

You have a number of options:-

1) Wait until you move in and set up your broadband and check to see if the wireless signal is good enough.

2) Get the phone master socket moved to the garage. This would cost at least £85 to have your phone provider organise it.

3)  Assuming the garage is using the same consumer unit as the house, use power line adaptors, one in the lounge connected to the router and one in the garage to transmit the signal.

4) Run Ethernet cable from the router to the garage and connect a wireless access point. 

5) Use a Mesh system such as the BT WholeHome system or the BT Complete Wifi system.

0 Ratings
Dan_Arsenal90
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Appreciate the ideas!

Realised the apartment I live in currently has 5/6 different wires going into the property via different providers all from the same cable on the street.

i assume if I got a different provider to what the house has currently that they’ll be able to split the connection off to the garage?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

No, all providers other than virgin use Openreach and same wires.

0 Ratings
Dan_Arsenal90
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

So there’s no way they’ll simply split the line and put one into the garage?

0 Ratings