Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharda540
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Getting rid of the -5 on the Wireless network name

Go to solution

I am a new BT Customer and have a BT Smart Hub Type A Router.

My requirement: I have been having separated 2.4 & 5G Wireless networks configured on the routers in the past and my quest currently is to reuse my previous  2.4G and 5G names on the BT Smart Hub Router so that I don't have to go changing network configurations on 30+ devices set up to talk to Wifi.

The Problem: With this BT Router, when i enable splitting the 2.4G & 5G Wireless network SSID's, I am able to successfully edit the 2.4G and 5G SSID's, however not able to get rid of the "-5" at the end of the 5GHz WIFI SSID name.

For e.g. 2.4G SSID: apply, 5G SSID: banana-5. I am able to change the 5G network name to say "cherry-5", but in no circumstances am I able to get rid of the "-5" at the end.

Troubleshooting:

* Have done a factory reset as adviced by Customer Services - Hasn't helped

Customer Services say this looks like an error on the router and if a factory reset doesn't solve it, they'd be happy to swap a different router to see if this solves the problem. I have got a feeling thsi might repeat on other routers too.

Has anyone been able to remove the "-5" on 5G SSID name ? If yes, what Router was it on ?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Getting rid of the -5 on the Wireless network name

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum. @sharda540 

Possibly this post https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Smart-Hub-wifi-network-names-problem/m-p/174141...

And the posts after it.

sharda540
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks a ton @Keith_Beddoe  & @humps . Life saver you two are. 

It was good that i reached out here for help which has potentially saved a lot of effort in me fiddling with wireless settings on all my devices + the unnecessary router swap which has now been avoided.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

I had that thread archived in my forum RSS feed, so it was quick to find Smiley Happy

0 Ratings