cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Gfast and Network Adapter

Go to solution

I have recently upgraded from Fibre 1 to Fibre 100 (Gfast).  This involved the engineer replacing the master socket in my house and saying prayers at the cabinet down the street. Although Full Fibre has been installed in my street and the Open Reach guys say it is available, BT says it isn't.  But that's another story. 

I should now get better speeds but it seems not.  My PC gets download of around 85, my tablet around 60, my mobile phone around  40.  The BT speed checker which is now available in the My BT app shows that the promised 145Mbps is being sent as advertised. 

I want to ask about the Network Adapter of my PC.  Its name is Realtek PCle 2.5GB E Family Controller. The link speed is 100/100 Mbps. Does that mean that it cannot handle a download speed more than 100?  And if it can't is there anything I can do to get nearer to the 145 speed which is coming down the line?

Thank you for reading this cry for help.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Gfast and Network Adapter

Go to solution

@Tarnbrick 

Your PC link speed should be 1000mb not 100mb. Are you sure that the Ethernet cable from the home hub to the PC is a CAT5e or Cat6 cable, otherwise you will not get the full link speed?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Good morning Keith, thank you for your reply.  I wasn't hopeful of getting the full 145 speed because my PC is linked via the mains wiring through a Solwise homeplug system and Cat5e ethernet cable each end.  I was hoping to get a bit more than the current download speed.  I also think I am at the far end of the maximum distance from the cabinet, about 200 yards in old money.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@Tarnbrick 

It will be the Solwise that is restricting the speed, it would only have a 100mb LAN connection.

You could try 1Gb powerline adapters, but it would not be worth the extra expense.

Your faster broadband should enable you to use more devices at once.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for that. I will soldier on with existing set up.  It is fast enough for what I do .

0 Ratings