cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Ghost of Hub 6 past - or is it BTfon in disguise?

Go to solution

I have something very weird happening. I had a hub 6 until last week when I sent it back. I was also (I think as I got a bit confused with all the hub changes) part of BTFon. 

However, now when I look at available wifi networks, my hub 6 (exactly as I labelled it) comes up as well as my Hub 3. Obviously Hub 6 is winging its way back to BT hopefully for a refund and the only receiver/hub in play is the Hub 3. The signal replicates the strenght level of BT Hub 3 wherever I go in the house - when one is strong or weka etc the other is same. There is no BT Fon available, when there used to be beofre I started messing with the Hb 6 and trying to get that to work. I can't log on to this ghostly Hub 6 wifi, but it's still there. 

Any ideas what this is and how I can get rid of it please? And no, no-one around me has a Hub 6 yet (I've double checked via a wifi analyser on my Android)

Additional info - on my hub home page it says the hub isn't registered for BTFon, but when I go to my BT account BT Fon it says I am active. I have now disabled this, so I guess we'll see what happens in the next 48 hours, but BT Fon and the interaction with the Hubs is defninitely odd. Not even sure if that IS my problem re the above but if it is, it might be why some people are having login problems with the Hub 6 if Bt Fon is messing with it and labelling BT Fon incorrectly. Just a thought.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ghost of Hub 6 past - or is it BTfon in disguise?

Go to solution

Delete it from your list of saved wireless networks.

Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

have done. It still keeps coming up as an available network.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Are you sureit's your old HH6 that you are seeing?

What operating system are you using? If it is Windows did you remove the HH6 network via Network & Sharing > Manage Wireless Networks?

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

100% sure. I'm running a Mac and an Iphone  (on 9.3.5 and Mac on El Capitain) but everyone in the house can see it on their devices. Everything removed from everywhere but it still keeps showing as active wifi available with full strength where I have full strength for the Hub 3 and poor where hub 3 is poor etc. I personally think it has something to do with Bt Fon ..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Do you or did you have any of your devices set up as a mobile hotspot. If you did it may have something to do with that. I can not see how it would have anything to do with BTWifi-Fon.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

No, never used a mobile hotspot. I think my Iphone has the capability but I've never used it. I just can't see any other explanation about a returned hub still showing as active with a signal that replicates the Hub 3 in the way BTFon would (and BT Fon having disappeared when it's previously been showing) unless it's BTFon in disguise.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I suspect that it may be that when you changed hubs you kept the same network name on your devices so that even although the HH6 SSid has changed your network name didn't and as a result your devices which will have cached the HH6 SSid are still seeing the network as the old HH6 SSid.

When you "forget" the HH6 SSid on your devices have to switched them off and re-started them before re-scanning?

Presumably when you switch your HH3 off the HH6 signal also dissappears.

Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Well that's just even more weird. 

I turned hub 3 off and Hub 3 wifi duly disappeared from my list but Hub 6 stayed on with available signal. I also deleted it again from my phone and Mac and powered down and restarted but there it appears yet again. 

Wonder what would happen if I try to logon with my BTFon login ...? But then if the hub's off..? This one is beyond my comprehension entirely.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Now I feel a numpty. I had turned off a wireless repeater at the wall which was indeed previously connected to my hub 6 and which I haven't got around to recomnnecting to my HH3. I hadn't runed it back on so I assumed noone else in my house had - but I was wrong - one of the kids must have turned it back on in order to try and get Sky catch up (which is what it was for). I've now turned this off AGAIN and my phantom Home Hub 6 has disappeared.
It's helped me understand how the home plugs and repeaters work though. I thought they adopted new names and I wasn't aware that they adopted the host name.

Thank you GG30340 for your help. Asking me about the TPlink on the other thread (which wasn't the rogue device as I had it sitting next to me on the desk) prompted me to investigate the one I had thought was turned off. 

0 Ratings