cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldie68
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Going away for a few days ... leave equipment on or off?

Go to solution

We're going away for a few days next week, the first time since having Infinity and Vision installed. However, we want to record several programmes while we're away.

Am I right in thinking I do these things, in more or less the order stated?

1. Switch off homeplugs at the sockets.

2. Ditto Hub at socket.

3. Ditto Modem at socket.

4. Ditto TV.

5. Leave Vision box on standby.

On return, switch everything on at sockets, in reverse order.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Going away for a few days ... leave equipment on or off?

Go to solution

Don't do any of 1, 2 & 3 in any order. You should leave the box with an active BB connection. See here: http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/How-does-recording-use-broadband-connection/td-p/234621

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
oldie68
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks pp,

The modem gets a bit hot, and I've been reading some old posts about the risk of fire (though BT did claim there was no fire risk, just a slight risk of a component failing). Still, I've had the equipment permanently on for five weeks now, without any problem. It just feels different when you're going away and leaving the house empty for a few days.

All the recordings are on channels 1 to 5, so I might chicken out and rely on watching them on catch-up.

In which case would I switch everything off as per my first post (plus the BT box)?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@oldie68 wrote:

Thanks pp,

The modem gets a bit hot, and I've been reading some old posts about the risk of fire (though BT did claim there was no fire risk, just a slight risk of a component failing). Still, I've had the equipment permanently on for five weeks now, without any problem. It just feels different when you're going away and leaving the house empty for a few days.

All the recordings are on channels 1 to 5, so I might chicken out and rely on watching them on catch-up.

In which case would I switch everything off as per my first post (plus the BT box)?

I would never say never, but there is no significant fire risk. The electricity supply itself is probably more of a hazard, but who turns off off the main switch when going away? Simple question: will you be turning off your fridge and freezer? If so, you may feel happier shutting down your BT equipment, though it may need to do some catching up of its own when it goes back on.

You really are worrying unnecessarily. We've had BB for nearly 7 years and never switched off the modem or router apart from maintenance. We usually forget to turn off standby items, also with no problems apart from a slightly higher leccy bill.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
oldie68
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi pp.

You're perfectly right, of course. I don't even switch off the bedroom clock/radio when we go away, even if it's for a couple of weeks, and that's getting a bit ancient.

0 Ratings