Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ted209
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Good wireless, Bad Wired HH5A

Hey guys and gals,

We have recently had Infinity 2 with a HH5A installed into our house on Methwold, Cabinet 1! We have only had it for 7 days now and right from the get go, we have had nothing but problems!!

Whenever I leave the hub with just the ADSL cable in the back, it appears to work fine. However we live in a cottage with thick walls and require an extender, both wireless and wired to allow the internet to reach the rest of the rooms. Leaving my old contract with BT, this setup worked perfectly for many years. The speed reduced to 1.2 Mps so decided to upgrade to the newly installed FTTC in our village.

Now as I said, wirelessly the hub works fine! No connection drops and a healthy 40(ish)Mps. As soon as I plug either my Simpler Networks wired pass through power line adaptor or my devolo dlan500 WiFi into the back of the HH5 the internet drops connection and the hub flashes an unhealthy orange at me?? I can reconnect and it all seems fine and dandy for a couple of minutes. As soon as I try and use my PC which is using the Simpler Networks adaptor, the connection drops again. Same thing with my wireless devolo, as soon as I try to watch a bit of cathup TV, the **bleep** hub drops the internet connection again, rendering it pointless!!

Not really a question yet I know, so here goes..I read a load of forums dying the hub is rubbish and after replacing it with something else, they have had no more problems?? I am on a tight budget and can rarely afford to buy another network router to try it as all my older models aren't VDSL compatible. Is this a viable option? Will it solve my problem?

Here is my help desk info:

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 09/04/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:31:41
6. Data rate:16672 / 38623
7. Maximum data rate:16688 / 49488
8. Noise margin:5.8 / 8.7
9. Line attenuation:27.0 / 17.3
10. Signal attenuation:27.3 / 18.1
11. Data sent/received:373.0 MB / 6.8 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:No
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-WFX8
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:13
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-WFX8-5GHz
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:60
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:44:e9:dd:52:22:5c
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0

Please help me guys, I understand there is of up to 10 days for a stabilisation period, but a work colleague has just got his Infinity switched over yesterday and he has had perfect internet all day, everyday! Mine disconnects every couple of minutes, unless left on WiFi, which is just not an option.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Good wireless, Bad Wired HH5A

Have you just moved from a different ISP who used a different router which was probably on a different IP subnet?

If so, then you may have to reset any adapters, as they may have retained some old setting which are interfering with the home hub.

Its important that only one Ethernet port on the home hub is connected to a powerline adapter.

0 Ratings
Ted209
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Good wireless, Bad Wired HH5A

Had BT ADSL option 2 on Thursday last week on a hh3 with both adaptors connected and moved to infinity 2 on the Friday! Tried reseting the adaptors today, to no avail Smiley Sad 

Even with one adaptor connected I still get the same problem.

0 Ratings