More info in that thread I mentioned.

Example below.

hhwifi extra ports.jpg

0 Ratings
sjd201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 26

Re: Google Nest WiFi, Double NAT and woe

Ok. So I had same problem. Found a BT Business hub on Amazon so Bridge mode is enabled to get round this double nat issue. Plugged it in. Got online quickly, enabled bridge mode. 

However, Nest Wifi is connected but no internet! Contacted Google and they said maybe BT don't allow bridge mode? I'm on home plan but bought business hub to get around Double NAT as plenty online that this would solve the problem. Could this be possible?

Google convinced Nest is just plug and play. Any advice would be grateful

Thanks

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 26

Have you entered the PPPoE  credentials in the Google wifi? Username  bthomehub@btbroadband.com password BT

0 Ratings
sjd201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 26

Will give that a go. Thank you

0 Ratings
sjd201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 26

All sorted and working.  Finally!!  Thanks for your quick response

Simon

0 Ratings
JTopCat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 26

@sjd201 

Which model business hub did you end up purchasing?

Were you experiencing the same intermittent WiFi dropout / 'connected but no internet' issue that I was experiencing?

I had a blissful week after I reset everything to factory settings but it's playing up again now. In fact, I experienced the same trouble at my FiL's house (he bought a Nest WiFi on my recommendation and is using it with his BT hub).

0 Ratings
sjd201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 26

Latest Smart Business Hub. Found it on Amazon for £55.  Connected but no internet constantly and phone just kicked me off and defaulted to BT Home Hub. Really frustrating

The Double NAT issue well reported. Google got me to send Diagnostic report and that confirmed it. Since got Business Hub and into Bridge Mode and put PPPoE settings into Nest Router not had any issues at all. Been about 24 hours and used to happen multiple times a day. 

Confident this has resolved issue finally

0 Ratings
sjd201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 26

Still having issues with Internet dropping and devices being kicked off the network. Is there anything else I should have changed in the settings?

Getting a message saying password incorrect but it's definitely right. I have reset network settings on some Apple devices but that didn't fix it.

On verge of looking at a different solution to Nest WiFi. One thing about BT Hub it was absolutely solid. Never ever dropped out and all devices could connect reliably. Bit surprised how many issues I'm having with a Google device. Normally excellent products.

0 Ratings
JTopCat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 26

@sjd201 

Oh no! I was hoping you'd found a simple way to solve things!

To be honest I think I ended up in the same place as you - I want to stick with the Google kit but it just looks like this isn't a solveable problem. I'm planning to switch to the BT Whole Home WiFi mesh system but am cagey about pulling the trigger in case that doesn't solve things and I end up having spent even more money.

Would you mind keeping us posted if you decide to switch the Google kit out for BT kit? If that solves things, it's worth the money I think. 

0 Ratings
sjd201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 26

This has been painful.  I have Google One so I am able to get support very quickly which has been useful.  This link does summarise things well and has been backed up by comments from their support.  I have sent them diagnostic reports and they have been consistent with their responses.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9798157?hl=en-GB#:~:text=VLAN%20tagging%20is%20not%20su....

So after going back to them last night again they said that there had to be a switch between the bridge and Nest Wifi.  This was not an issue as I have a 16 port Netgear Switch next to the router so most of my devices can be wired.  Re routed cables tried again.

Surprise surprise STILL not resolved.  So I went back to them again.  They asked for model of Switch and apparently it is unmanaged.  You have to have a managed switch that supports VLAN tagging.  I found a cheap one on Amazon that is being delivered tomorrow so hoping that will be the final piece to the jigsaw.  I know my next challenge is going to be getting settings correct on the Managed switch but one step at a time!!  I will not be defeated and I have learnt a lot to be fair.

One thing I will say is I am astonished at how complex this has become.  With Google products you expect plug and play so they appeal to mass market.  This is anything but simple.  Maybe people just put up with unreliable connections?  Its clearly a known issue so amazed Nest does not support VLAN tagging.  Although if it did not sure if the solution would be any less complicated?  I don't know enough about networking to comment.  

Will report back once I have new switch in place and let you know if that solves the problem.

0 Ratings